Cowboy boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i built boots for a while, and was an assistant boot and saddle instructor for awhile. i loved to do the design work on the tops, but hated doing the construction of the bottoms. any nice custom made boot, made off your measurements, should last a dozen years or more, even with everyday wear in the mud and ****. the most common among ranch cowboys these days are White's packers, Beck's, Brokedog Boots, and a guy who used to work for Beck's named Bustamante (sp?). White's are the cheapest of them at $350-ish, but most people will get 20 yrs everyday use out of them. (usually having them rebuilt 3 or 4 times in that amount of time) the others mentioned are gonna be anywhere from $500-$1000 for a typical pair, and unlimited if you want to get fancy. in a store bought boot, anderson bean and ariats are what i like best. it took several years of convincing from guys i knew who wore ariats before i tried them, but i'm convinced now. they are the most comfortable and long-lasting store bought boot i've ever worn. and yes, i know where they're made, thats why it took so long for me to swallow my pride and try them. me, my wife, and kids, have been wearing them everyday for a couple years. like all the composite soled factory boots now, they're not repairable, but you'll wear the uppers out from the inside before the sole goes.

and as for square toes, yes they are roomy and comfortable, but mostly, it's a trend. the very first cowboy boots were square toed, and they've been in and outta style several times since the 1860's, but custom bootmakers have always been partial to them.

mprvise

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own eight pairs including my first pair my grandfather got for me when I was 18 months old. Most are Tony Lama and the most expensive were around $300.00. I wear boots almost every day and have for years. Still have every pair I've owned and some have been resoled multiple times.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Do you mind sharing which ones can you get 20 years out of? Maybe there is some I never had before.

Best I ever got was 4 years out of some Dan Post and the worst was Wolverines-3 months I think. I've had about everything in between.

I've got a pair of Dan Post that I bought in 1988, they are on their 3rd sole. Now I don't wear them very often anymore, maybe only 2-3 times a month but the first 8-9 years I probaly wore them 3-4 days a week. Like anything else it is how you take care of them that counts.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try not to wear the same pair 2 days in a row. if you get 2 pairs and trade them out each day, they will last much, much longer. (i know, i dont do it either) but they taught us in the basic classes that each foot sweats an average of 1 cup of water each day. they need a day or so to dry out.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually wear Doc Marten leather boots,biker boots,or tactical boots most of the time and dont wear my cowboy boots very often. Mostly because theyre just not my style but my mom ranches in Osage county so I wear them there to family stuff sometimes and I also have a couple of pairs of old boots there for going out and riding and stuff when there visiting. In my closet I do have a nice pair of Justins I got in the 80s that still look good and are totally original, and a pair of custom Ben Millers. Ive always just used saddle soap on them to clean them,I spray weatherizer on them,etc. My grandfather used to take us down to El Paso when I was little to get our Ben Millers. I remember always getting them a few sizes too large to grow into them and my gramma stuffing sucks in the front of them.

It figures a person of Sicilian descent (JB) would wear Lucchese boots.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you add the custom pocket for yer shank? You know, for sneakin' a blade into rock music concerns?

awww.westcoastshoe.com_wesco_images_custom_pullon_13b.gif

'cause us loons feel the need to be armed everywhere ;)

Lawl, well played. I considered it, but it seemed a pretty useless waste of $40. I'll just have to take my chances with the old ways. :comfort:

My knife compulsion isn't necessarily about being armed, it's just one of my weird quirks. I also must have a lighter on me at all times or I feel undressed. I've never smoked, but I burn something 'bout errday. Even if I don't, I want teh ability. No Patrick Swayze wannabe gonna take that away from me, by Gawd.

TripleD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't know about the ones your boys were looking at, and this really only applies to people whose feet have stopped growing, but a quality pair of boots can last years, if not decades. Yeah, they can be expensive, but i still have a pair that i bought six years ago and expect another 14 out of them. I think i paid close to $200, but that is very reasonable if you figure out how much a new pair of shoes costs yeah year, or every few years.

I still have a pair of hiking boots I bought in 1982 for less than $100. I don't wear them everyday, so they are still in excellent condition. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom