Cows on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact Sherriff make a report give him time to contact owner, say 14 days. Unwritten rule in a tricounty area where I live, after contact is made allow another 14 days for owner to stop cattle from trespassing. After that gather all cattle on your property, take to local sale barn in owners name but have check mailed to your address. Now you hold his check till damages are paid to you. This is not legal advice but know many that have done it and the local Sherriff's support it

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought both parties are responsible for fence up keep?
At least around here, if your cattle get out, you fix the fence, if it’s your neighbors cattle getting out it’s on them. But MOST of our neighbors help each other.

Some guys around here have, after talking to the neighbor about their cattle getting out and also talking to the sheriff have hauled them to the sale barn, took out gas expenses, then gave what’s left back to the owner. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s what happened.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought both parties are responsible for fence up keep?
I can only say what a judge told me when in court over such matters. It is the responsibility of the person that owns the domesticated animals to keep and maintain fence to keep animals off other peoples property. And if both parties own said animals its the person that owns said animals that get out to keep and maintain fences so said animals will remain on their property.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Contact Sherriff make a report give him time to contact owner, say 14 days. Unwritten rule in a tricounty area where I live, after contact is made allow another 14 days for owner to stop cattle from trespassing. After that gather all cattle on your property, take to local sale barn in owners name but have check mailed to your address. Now you hold his check till damages are paid to you. This is not legal advice but know many that have done it and the local Sherriff's support it

*results may vary depending on county*

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*results may vary depending on county*
Don’t see why I have to go to all the trouble of collecting and selling some else’s cows and then give him the money after his cattle broke my fences for over a year and no one has ever visited that property to walk the fence line. Broken, rusted barbwire on the ground .

Last edited:

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So can the county assessor. Will the sheriff consider them free range? Are you a fence in or fence out county? Call the sheriff on the business line not the emergency line and be polite. Ask.

how tall is the fence? What material? Once cows are jumpers and they have a learned behavior it is hard to break. Neighbors bull cleared our five foot fence.
Never measured, up about 5’. 4 strand barb wire. Some jump. Calve just jets right through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom