Cows on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No address, just a large fenced piece of property.
If you know someone that has the OnX or HuntStand hunting apps. Contact them to see who’s property is adjacent to yours.
Those apps list the property owners of every state and county within.
If someone on this forum has one of those apps and wishes to help, you could find out in a PM to that member so your location isn’t put online.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
On county rd. 1550 About a mile west of 81 on North side. Rush Springs
You're right down the road but in another county. Call the Sheriff, Grady CO seems pretty responsive.

I can't say what you should do with someone else's cows, but if they aren't branded and decided they wanted to live with me, I'd prolly oblige. Then I'd fix the fence myself and put up No Trespassing signs.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also if you dont have the means or the facility to feed and keep them penned the sheriff can get into contact with someone that can come a get them for you and hold til damages and upkeep is paid and if no ones shows then they can be auctioned off and you and whoever gets the proceeds to cover your expenses

Don’t see why I have to go to all the trouble of collecting and selling some else’s cows and then give him the money after his cattle broke my fences for over a year and no one has ever visited that property to walk the fence line. Broken, rusted barbwire on the ground .
Pretty much like Rick said is what I think. Here’s how it works or has worked in these “cases” I’ve been involved in as a worker at a stockyard and as a guy who catches cows. You wouldn’t be out a dime. All you do is grant permission for the “cowboys” to come on your property and catch the animals. The cowboys load them up and haul them to the nearest sale barn. The cowboys inform the sale barn how much the catching fee and the trucking fee is. Those fees are stacked on top of the barns yardage fees when the owner comes to claim the cattle or the cattle are sold cuz the sale barn has waited how ever long they are required to wait. Yes the local authorities are made aware of what is going on. Yes your neighbor who you don’t know will no longer like his neighbor he doesn’t know. What would I do if I were you?
First call the local lawman and see what he says. Second call the local sale barn and see what they say. If something like I mentioned above is legal in your area then I’m sure the sale barn can set you up with the guys to make the cows no longer your problem.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much like Rick said is what I think. Here’s how it works or has worked in these “cases” I’ve been involved in as a worker at a stockyard and as a guy who catches cows. You wouldn’t be out a dime. All you do is grant permission for the “cowboys” to come on your property and catch the animals. The cowboys load them up and haul them to the nearest sale barn. The cowboys inform the sale barn how much the catching fee and the trucking fee is. Those fees are stacked on top of the barns yardage fees when the owner comes to claim the cattle or the cattle are sold cuz the sale barn has waited how ever long they are required to wait. Yes the local authorities are made aware of what is going on. Yes your neighbor who you don’t know will no longer like his neighbor he doesn’t know. What would I do if I were you?
First call the local lawman and see what he says. Second call the local sale barn and see what they say. If something like I mentioned above is legal in your area then I’m sure the sale barn can set you up with the guys to make the cows no longer your problem.
The best part of this entire thread has been that an official cow catcher offered his opinion. Kudos.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad made the mistake of buying some Mississippi cattle one year. Those SOB's had never seen a fence and when they did I swear they were half deer and could clear a 5 strand barbed wire fence. We played hell trying to keep those cattle on our property. We tried electric fence with the biggest batteries we could find hooking them up in parallel. We even strung another wire on top of the posts. I was never so happy when we sold those creatures from hell and I even ate a couple of them. You would think the aggravation they caused would have made them more palatable but it didn't.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best part of this entire thread has been that an official cow catcher offered his opinion. Kudos.
Well when you’ve gotta a screen name such as mine and your avatar picture is of a cow that you roped and tied down for a man that couldn’t catch her with other methods then you better make it seem like you have some knowledge on a topic such as this. Lol

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t see why I have to go to all the trouble of collecting and selling some else’s cows and then give him the money after his cattle broke my fences for over a year and no one has ever visited that property to walk the fence line. Broken, rusted barbwire on the ground .
Does anyone feed and water them? You have never seen any vehicles in there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom