Cox Internet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cox is in the middle of an "Upgrade" If your modem is older it can cause you problems. Once we got a mew modem and they finished the upgrade here it has been pretty solid. Price still sucks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody bought an easement and bulldozed a private road along my south property line (the easement was on the neighbor's place). In less than two weeks, the jake-legged peckerwood running the dozer cut my phone line three times.

The first time the guy from AT$T found the cut and repaired it; the second time they did such a bang-up job that he said he couldn't locate the cut end of the cable, so he had to pull a new one and put in a burial order for it.

The very next day, they cut it again. The guy from AT$T (the same guy from the two previous incidents) said the raving geniuses (my editorialization, not his) had put up a realtor's sign, driving it into the ground right through the brand new, still-unburied cable.

I thought about "borrowing" parts off their dozer every time they cut the phone line, but that was the last time it happened.
Dang! They must work pretty hard at screwing up to be that good at it! 🤣

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything you need to know about Cox is right there in the name. They even try to warn you what they are.

OEC is the only way to go if you can.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BUT if u like to download stuff off of sites like pirate bay and such ATT will throw a FIT!!! and threaten to disconnect you,,att owns time warner, a huge media company, and will go after anyone downloading anything att thinks they "own"..
Actually, AT&T no longer owns WarnerMedia (which is the successor to Time Warner.) AT&T sold it off and WarnerMedia merged with Discovery, Inc., forming Warner Bros. Discovery.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m thinking they all pretty much stink in their own way. Out here in the county we don’t have many choices. Either Hilliary Communications or go with a satellite provider and I refuse to hang another one of those things on my house again. Besides, in bad weather they go out which ain’t good.
Yeah, just when you need a radar picture for your area, technology is snuffed by the very cloud you need to see. I couldn't stand that at the farm. When we were growing up, 4, 5, and 9 were always good to go. On occasions 13. Then this digital TV crap is forced upon us and they are tearing down the old reliable over the air signal towers. Now you done went and got me started!!!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got the Cox 'bundle' which is internet, tv and telephone (we prefer to keep our landline) and I just paid the $254.00 monthly bill last week.

OEC Fiber just buried their cable down both sides of the street back in the summer........I'll call them for a quote this coming week to see if I can get what we have now for substantially less.
You will and will never miss the 769 channels you never watch.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely watch television, but the wife does, so we only have an antenna that receives local over the air channels. We had Cox Cable for television and internet for years. We ditched the television part 5 years ago and only had internet with Cox. The Internet worked well for the most part. A couple months ago Cox raised our internet bill by $9.00/month. I decided to look to an alternative.

Right before Christmas we went to T-Mobil and switched from Cricket cell phone service to T-Mobil and got two new phones as our old phones did not work well with T-Mobil, even though they were supposed to be compatible. The new phones were basically free, as they are pro-rated on a monthly basis and as long as we stay with T-Mobile for two years, there will be no cost for the phones. There is no contract, but if we were to decide to leave T-Mobil the remaining balance would be due for the phones.

T-Mobil offered as a special unlimited voice and data plan for the two phones for people 55 and older @$70.00 per month and their Home Internet Service for $25.00 per month, both with guaranteed price lock for life.

It gets complicated, but there was a billing issue with the first month’s billing, so I got on the phone with T-Mobil and after a 30 minute phone call was able to resolve the billing issue and they dropped our monthly bill for both phone and internet service from $95.00/month to $85.00 per month locked in for life. (I was not nasty, but firm in my displeasure about the billing) Squeaky wheel gets greased.

The phone service has worked great and same with the internet service. The internet speeds are running between 250 megabytes per second to 400 megabytes per second, which is comparable to the speed we had with Cox.

One of our daughters has T-Mobil Internet, but is not receiving the same speeds we are. Her speeds are much lower, but she is still happy with the internet service.

The T-Mobil Home Internet is normally $50.00 per month, which is what our daughter pays.

When I called Cox Cable to cancel our service the rep. offered me $49.00 per month for Internet to stay with Cox. I told the rep, if she could match T-Mobil at $25.00/ month locked in for life I would consider staying with Cox. Cox would not match.

We are with CREC rural electric and they are installing fiber optic which will be available to us in the next couple years. We might consider going with CREC Fiber Optic Internet, even though it will be more costly than T-Mobil Home Internet.

To sum up, T-Mobil Home Internet might be worth looking into. Your results may not match our results.

I was glad to dump Cox. For many years they were the only option we had.
Isn't it truly amazing how the service providing companies can arbitrarily increase their bills and lower their bills whenever they feel like you haven't been screwed enough or if they think you are fed up and they have to cut back on their monthly screw you bill?

It is all arbitrary! Just look at this thread. Someone is paying $50 for internet, someone is paying $65. There is no set fee. Due to different corporate promos, Different tax bases, different customers income's, all sorts of variables. YOu never ever get the internet speeds you are paying for unless it is 3 a.m.

I'm betting they have a range on a sliding scale they want every customer to fit into. If they can reduce your monthly rate just enough to squeeze you into that range, they still screw you monthly and you stayed loyal to them. Which means nothing to them but you get screwed every month by them and not some other provider.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out for what purpose the government forced everyone in this country into riding the digital television bandwagon whether they wanted to or not; even going so far as to provide, at taxpayer expense, vouchers worth upwards of $200 each to 'poor' people for flat-screen TV purchase. I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the purpose of ensuring that we Americans get a better viewing experience than what we had.
If that wasn't bad enough, it was discovered that several [popular] flat-screen manufacturers were covertly installing cameras and microphones within their home products.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-tvs-were-apparently-spying-on-their-owners/https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...msung-smart-tv-hack-security/?sh=6d937d304bcdhttps://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-warns-about-snoopy-smart-tvs-spying-on-you/https://entertainment.ie/trending/y...en-listening-in-on-your-conversations-340669/

Latest posts

Top Bottom