Coyote/Coon trapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bratley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wanting to trap coyotes on my farm. My question is: if I trap a raccoon or opossum after Feb. 28, do I have to release it? Also, if my target animal is a coyote do I have to purchase a fur license as well? I do have a hunting license and trapping license. I am not interested in furs only reducing the predator population on my land. Thanks

Bratley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes sir, Duke #2 CS. I am totally new to trapping and with my schedule I really don't have time to truly hunt them. This way I can manage a small trap line after dark if need be. My neighbor to the north raises goats and estimates there are around 40 coyotes running through my property to his.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first year to get serious with steel. 7 cats so far with only two possums in the traps.

Watched a video of John Graham's Bobcat trapping Vol 2. Using his method of tuning the traps, etc, its been pretty successful.

Never attempted to trap coyotes. I know a guy that does, and he said that coyotes are probably the hardest to trap, as their sense of smell is so great. Everything has to be handled with rubber gloves, rubber boots, etc.

I'm using #4's on cats, so I'm thinking the #2's are a little on the small side, but should work.
Unless somebody shows up with some first hand advice it might be worth scouting youtube, or going out and buying a video from somebody that targets coyotes.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would use a bigger trap, 3's minimum, 4's would be better. Scent control for coyotes is everything. Focus on fence crossings and trails, dirt hole sets primarily. If you're super serious about getting rid of them, call a Govt trapper, and go with him and learn. He'll most likely use steel and snares and make quick work of the problem. He'll have access to a helicoptor as well if he needs it.

Bratley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching youtube and the internet a lot lately. Being new to trapping I have expectations, but they are not terribly high. I have rarely been out to the farm and not seen at least one coyote. Went out yesterday and I had hundreds of coyote tracks and was only able to find a handful of deer tracks. They totally screwed up my daughters first hunting season.

SO...do I have to release anything caught in the trap after 2-28-13 that is not a coyote.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have been researching youtube and the internet a lot lately. Being new to trapping I have expectations, but they are not terribly high. I have rarely been out to the farm and not seen at least one coyote. Went out yesterday and I had hundreds of coyote tracks and was only able to find a handful of deer tracks. They totally screwed up my daughters first hunting season.

SO...do I have to release anything caught in the trap after 2-28-13 that is not a coyote.

You don't have to release coyotes, skunks....................and beavers:) Everything else, yes you must release, even grinners.

Bratley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am going to give it a shot starting this coming week. I mean what is the worst that could happen, I spend hours in peace and tranquility of the woods and have the chance of removing a predator or two. Sounds OK to me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to give it a shot starting this coming week. I mean what is the worst that could happen, I spend hours in peace and tranquility of the woods and have the chance of removing a predator or two. Sounds OK to me.

The worst that could happen is that you'd catch one of your own fingers during the setting process, lol. It's fun, trying to out hunt the hunter, enjoy your weekend. Marshmellows are great coon bait by the way, and cheap.

Bratley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea what I should do with a coon? For what they go for, I am not sure it would be worth my time to sell them. I am all the way down by the Red River and unless a fur buyer is close it's not worth the time and gas.

I figure I will catch a finger in a trap more than once. It's kinda like if you weld you will get burned or hammer many nails you will eventually hit your thumb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom