Anybody still trap furbearers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious on trapping coons. We are overrun with them on our hunting property. My plans are just to set foot traps around feeders and take them out 3 at a time. I got 3 each time I set out my 3 traps last fall. 9 is nothing. Had that many on one trail camera pic! Any other recommended method of eradication?
More traps... if you have to mess with 3, might as well mess with a dozen or more.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Curious on trapping coons. We are overrun with them on our hunting property. My plans are just to set foot traps around feeders and take them out 3 at a time. I got 3 each time I set out my 3 traps last fall. 9 is nothing. Had that many on one trail camera pic! Any other recommended method of eradication?
Yeah gang set an area with 10 or more coon cuffs. I assume they're showing up at your deer feeders?

20210924_102957.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Up to 108 as of yesterday off 12 and 5 acres, 8 miles apart, since July. They've slowed way down after 100.

3 dog proof traps at each site with j hook rebar anchoring and 100lb braided wire to a tree or log. I put about 10 pieces of cat food in the bottom then impale a full size marshmallow on the trigger. Rarely (maybe 5 times) has a trap been cleaned out without catching the coon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used anything but cheap marshmallows. Big one under the trigger, small ones in the tube and scatter a few around on the ground to get them interested. Works every time. You may thin them out for a while, but new ones will quickly move in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom