Anybody still trap furbearers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overthink what it takes to attract and trap coons. They are curious by nature and will investigate anything that catches their eye. Back before DP traps, I used leg holds with foil on the pan in real shallow water so they could see and investigate the trap. Worked pretty well, but not as good as the DP's baited with a $2 bag of marshmallows that will last most of a season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I trapped one by forgetting to roll my window up in my truck at the house once.

He was enjoying some of my crackers when I hopped in. Not sure who was surprised more, me or the trash panda.
Buddy left the window down in his 2 year old wheat truck for a couple weeks in the barn. Coons got in there and destroyed the interior including the wiring under the dash pretty much totaling it. He had no insurance on the truck and had to eat the loss.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy left the window down in his 2 year old wheat truck for a couple weeks in the barn. Coons got in there and destroyed the interior including the wiring under the dash pretty much totaling it. He had no insurance on the truck and had to eat the loss.
That's rough. I don't let anything set around here very long (too many critters). Field mice make me about as nervous as anything though, because of their habit of chewing wiring.

And I don't leave crackers in vehicles anymore. 😅

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's rough. I don't let anything set around here very long (too many critters). Field mice make me about as nervous as anything though, because of their habit of chewing wiring.

And I don't leave crackers in vehicles anymore. 😅
Had pack rats build a nest on top of the manifold of my Tacoma using the insulation under the hood. They got a few wires with the insulation chewed off but the wires intact.
I've read that the new insulation is soy based and is attractive to them.
Don't know if that is true or not as rodents had a propensity to chew wiring way back in the day.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of getting into trapping, beavers and coyotes in particular. Not looking to make any money, just want to get rid of some nuisance animals and use the furs. I figure I could go out for my normal one or two day hunting excursion, set some traps in the area, go about my business, checking and resetting traps as needed while hunting for whatever I’m going after. I figure it would be something interesting to learn, and be a way to make my trips more productive.

thoughts? Anybody open to teaching me the ropes sometime?
ODWC is having a trapping workshop Feb 11-13 at Cherokee WMA. To register go to your GoOutdoorsOK license account and select events. Its capped at 15 participants and there are only a few spots left.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the trapping grounds isn't close by, you are going to spend more on fuel than you would buying more traps to try and knock down the population faster than 2 or 3 coons per trip.
That's my situation - property is 2 hours away. Will just trap on the nights that I'll be staying. So, don't plan on getting more than 3-6 per night but will be there a week in the spring to clear food plots and again for a week in the fall to plant. Have to take what I can when I can to "try" and get under control. If it's going to be in triple digits, I'll need more marshmallows!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my situation - property is 2 hours away. Will just trap on the nights that I'll be staying. So, don't plan on getting more than 3-6 per night but will be there a week in the spring to clear food plots and again for a week in the fall to plant. Have to take what I can when I can to "try" and get under control. If it's going to be in triple digits, I'll need more marshmallows!
I could loan you a dozen coon cuffs sometime.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't overthink what it takes to attract and trap coons. They are curious by nature and will investigate anything that catches their eye. Back before DP traps, I used leg holds with foil on the pan in real shallow water so they could see and investigate the trap. Worked pretty well, but not as good as the DP's baited with a $2 bag of marshmallows that will last most of a season.
Back in the day my father and I used to trap a lot. For us it was a means of making extra money. When it cost us more to do it than it did on what we made we slowed down on hiw much we trapped. Coons will pretty much investigate anything abnormal or that smells good. Tuna or canned animal food seems to smell a lot more and will bring them in. Back when we trapped you couldn't freeze the whole carcus, the buyer would have looked at us weird. First time I heard of that was when my father-in-law started trapping and was doing that. I was a little confused to be honest. After talking to a few people that I knew that still trapped it be came the norm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom