Anybody still trap furbearers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of getting into trapping, beavers and coyotes in particular. Not looking to make any money, just want to get rid of some nuisance animals and use the furs. I figure I could go out for my normal one or two day hunting excursion, set some traps in the area, go about my business, checking and resetting traps as needed while hunting for whatever I’m going after. I figure it would be something interesting to learn, and be a way to make my trips more productive.

thoughts? Anybody open to teaching me the ropes sometime?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I trapped regularly until a couple years ago. I can catch about anything but I have not mastered beavers yet. If I had the time, I’d help you learn. Part of the reason I quit trapping is because of too many other obligations. If you do everything right and legal, trapping is a daily commitment, so close, easy access to your trap line is key. Maybe I’ll get back into it when I retire, but that is still several years away.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trapped regularly until a couple years ago. I can catch about anything but I have not mastered beavers yet. If I had the time, I’d help you learn. Part of the reason I quit trapping is because of too many other obligations. If you do everything right and legal, trapping is a daily commitment, so close, easy access to your trap line is key. Maybe I’ll get back into it when I retire, but that is still several years away.
Did you trap to sell the hides? Do you know of anywhere that I would be able to send hides to for processing that can return me a ready to use product? I would love to be able to make a few things like mittens, hats, and a blanket or two, but don’t necessarily want to invest in a sewing machine/etc.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you trap to sell the hides? Do you know of anywhere that I would be able to send hides to for processing that can return me a ready to use product? I would love to be able to make a few things like mittens, hats, and a blanket or two, but don’t necessarily want to invest in a sewing machine/etc.
I didn’t focus on sales too much, but there is, or used to be a monthly buyers market in Chandler. You could take the whole frozen animal there to sell and not have to worry about the skinning and tanning.

I haven’t used it in years, but there are online services that you can ship the hide to and they will prepare and tan it for a fee. Not sure about someone that would make products for you, but I’m sure someone does that sort of thing.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve not done it but isn’t there synthetic tanning products sold online? I’ve not looked into it because hides aren’t worth anything unless you’re going to use them for projects.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve not done it but isn’t there synthetic tanning products sold online? I’ve not looked into it because hides aren’t worth anything unless you’re going to use them for projects.
I’m pretty sure.

my thinking is that I would love to give this a shot, try it out and essentially be able to say “been there done that” and make a few things (trapper hat, mittens, a blanket or two) in the process without sinking a ton of time and money into it. Kinda like learning how to build a table and chairs for the kitchen without buying an entire cabinetry shop and lumber mill. Is this doable?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep coons still year around, coyotes if time permits, which it usually doesn't. Bobcats aren't worth anything anymore so I enjoy seeing them on game cams just as much as I do in a trap anymore. Unless someone wants one for taxidermy purposes.
Curious on trapping coons. We are overrun with them on our hunting property. My plans are just to set foot traps around feeders and take them out 3 at a time. I got 3 each time I set out my 3 traps last fall. 9 is nothing. Had that many on one trail camera pic! Any other recommended method of eradication?

Latest posts

Top Bottom