Coyote Hunt with .270

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I got a new Mossberg .270 rifle for Christmas. This is my first rifle that I have ever owned. I am going coyote hunting on New Year's Day. Hopefully, I can get one with this new rifle. Any thoughts or tips regarding the new Mossberg.

Thanks

Craig

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot quite a few with the .270. I handload 90 gr sierra varminters for it but I bet you can buy 100 gr factory loads that should work well. It kills them well.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I was in the military and used a M-16; however I have no experience with the .270. I am going to take it to the range. I am going to sight it in with the bore sight laser that I got. My only concern is how bad it is going to kick. I have shot a 12 gauge and the M-16, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I was in the military and used a M-16; however I have no experience with the .270. I am going to take it to the range. I am going to sight it in with the bore sight laser that I got. My only concern is how bad it is going to kick. I have shot a 12 gauge and the M-16, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Okay,..good. I wasn't sure, thought you might be some kid who could get himself hurt with his "first rifle".

.270 is a great cartridge. It's a great compromise between recoil and power. I've got one and love shooting it, recoil shouldn't be a problem if you're used to a 12 gauge. If recoil is too much you can put a pad on it like a Hogue or Limbsaver. But I doubt you'll have any problems. You should try Remingtons Managed Recoil loads for coyotes and to reduce recoil, I think you'll like them.

Bore sighting will get you on paper, but you need to shoot a few at the range to verify. Never has a bore sight put me dead on using my rifles.

Kill a bunch of em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom