Coyotes in the Snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made a few stands in the blowing snow and never called in a thing. When I pulled up to one spot, I saw what I thought was a coyote walking along the field edge about 150 yards out and got out the rifle quick for a shot. He stepped behind a tree but I thought I had enough to shoot at but did not hit him. When I went up to check for blood, the tracks were IDed as bobcat and we started tracking it looking for blood. It ran across a pasture road about 50 yrds in front of me where the line of brush ended but I could not stop it for a shot. That was all the excitement we had all afternoon. I do not like the scope covers but one would have sure been nice today walking in and out of stands as the front lens kept filling up with snow. We are supposed to go do some calling and pheasant hunting tomorrow out by Pond Creek and Wakita. Maybe they will be hungrier by then.
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be at work keeping the lights on as said by Tom Boudine.:D Sunday will be a hunting day from daylight to dark.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted hard all day, except when we went into Pond Creek for some BBQ, and got my only pheasant of this season. Got a pair of quail and a couple rabbits. Hunted with my youngest brother and had a great time but it was hard walking in that snow, especially for an old fat guy. His shorthair pointed some pheasant but only hens. He did point the quail. Made 2 stands early for predators but no takers. Here is the hero pic.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Jan3010wDarrell.jpg

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made a few stands in the blowing snow and never called in a thing. When I pulled up to one spot, I saw what I thought was a coyote walking along the field edge about 150 yards out and got out the rifle quick for a shot. He stepped behind a tree but I thought I had enough to shoot at but did not hit him. When I went up to check for blood, the tracks were IDed as bobcat and we started tracking it looking for blood. It ran across a pasture road about 50 yrds in front of me where the line of brush ended but I could not stop it for a shot. That was all the excitement we had all afternoon. I do not like the scope covers but one would have sure been nice today walking in and out of stands as the front lens kept filling up with snow. We are supposed to go do some calling and pheasant hunting tomorrow out by Pond Creek and Wakita. Maybe they will be hungrier by then.

I'm headed up that way for pheasant and bunnies after church tomarrow, let me know if they're flying :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted hard all day, except when we went into Pond Creek for some BBQ, and got my only pheasant of this season. Got a pair of quail and a couple rabbits. Hunted with my youngest brother and had a great time but it was hard walking in that snow, especially for an old fat guy. His shorthair pointed some pheasant but only hens. He did point the quail. Made 2 stands early for predators but no takers. Here is the hero pic.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Jan3010wDarrell.jpg

We will be in that area tomorrow. I got an invite for go with some other guys and will do their areas and then see if any thing is left around mine. I have seen some roosters in my area, but they are sure spooky.

Do I see a Browning Citori in your arms?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We will be in that area tomorrow. I got an invite for go with some other guys and will do their areas and then see if any thing is left around mine. I have seen some roosters in my area, but they are sure spooky.

Do I see a Browning Citori in your arms?

Winchester 101. First double gun I have owned but I really like the light weight for walking all day. It is an older gun choked imp/modified 20 ga.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

How do you like that BBQ joint in Pond Creek? I've wanted to stop in there a couple of times, but I'm usually there on a Sunday, and they aren't open.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

How do you like that BBQ joint in Pond Creek? I've wanted to stop in there a couple of times, but I'm usually there on a Sunday, and they aren't open.

It is good food Dennis. I have only been there twice but it was good both times. Split a rack of ribs Saturday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom