DA seeking death penalty for man who shot cop during a no-knock warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the other story I linked to, they found a small amount of weed. The deputy who was shot was the one who requested the no knock. The guy who shot the deputy had a felony charge of DUI, but in Texas felons can own a weapon after five years of good behavior, I think.

Absolutely incorrect. You can can, in some instance of misdemeanors, can own a gun after five,such as DUI. Once a felon, unless your rights are restored, you cannot vote or own a firearm.

And yes, these warrants have got to STOP. Most people leave their house several times and day or every other day. Yes, the po-leece might have to wait for them to leave their house, but it will be better than what we have now.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is not currently being held on any drug-related charges according to records. Only for the shooting of the officer...

This is a super-slippery slope and the fact that TX is going after the death-penalty might actually turn out to be a good thing for citizens' rights (if it gets enough national attention and sets the appropriate precedence to start looking at these no-knock raids more closely).

The problem is when we have rules/laws that have to be followed, and some zealot comes up with a "yeah but what if we need to bend those rules for the greater good" type of thing and before you know it, rules are being bent by lots of folks/agencies all justifying their actions for the greater good.

Once again, it's not that "police" are bad, it's that generally speaking people like to abuse power and without checks and balances (rules for those enforcing the rules), some scumbag will always try and push it too far.

http://www.kwtx.com/ourtown/home/he...nalty-In-Police-Officers-Death-274000421.html

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was a cop, I wouldn't want to be on a no knock team for anything…why not jack the dude up on his way out for taco bell?

Seems like too much risk with little to no value added compared to other methods.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was a cop, I wouldn't want to be on a no knock team for anything…why not jack the dude up on his way out for taco bell?

Seems like too much risk with little to no value added compared to other methods.

You get a serious tweaker you could be sitting on a spot for a long time waiting for them to come out. That keeps man power tied down that gets expensive. Rapid entry raid wham ban thank you ma'am. In time to catch the last half of the football game and have a beer.

No knock is foolish. Too many people get hurt for no good reason. Of course if we didn't have a war on drugs this might be different as well.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely incorrect. You can can, in some instance of misdemeanors, can own a gun after five,such as DUI. Once a felon, unless your rights are restored, you cannot vote or own a firearm.

And yes, these warrants have got to STOP. Most people leave their house several times and day or every other day. Yes, the po-leece might have to wait for them to leave their house, but it will be better than what we have now.

That is why I said I think, here is the article.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/swat-team-deputy-killed-serving-knock-warrant/

The Bryan-College Station Eagle writes that Magee “has a felony and misdemeanor drug conviction.” According to Texas law, a resident with a felony arrest may own a weapon IF 5 years have elapsed since the felony conviction or end of parole. The weapon must be kept at the individuals home. None of the sources make it clear if this statute applies to Magee.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best reason for posting the wrong address at your curb....If you really Need a reason...8/

I just dont see how anyone can say these "no knock" deals can be a good idea....shootin is commencing, Either way...

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do a dumbasz thing like serve a no knock and you get what you get. Play excedingly stupid, reckless and unnecessarily dangerous games, win the appropriate prize.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the many reasons I really don't care for them. Too many things can go wrong.

Well there's that and the fact that they are very rarely warranted (no pun intended) in light of the risks for all involved. If I were a judge there would be an extremely high bar to clear before I signed off on a no-knock. I don't think drugs would clear it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom