"Dead Trigger" problem on a 9mm AR15 pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I just built a 9mm AR15 pistol. The first 100 or so rounds were problem free. Took it out to shoot today and experienced an intermittent dead trigger.

Translation: the hammer would not reset as the trigger was released. Therefore it would not fall and fire the next round.

Do you think it just got dirty? Maybe a good cleaning? OR Is this common in 9mm ar platforms?

What's the cure?

Thanks

It's all Palmetto State Armory. Upper, lower, and LPK.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 94

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got no idea on PSA, their receivers are proprietary AFAIK so maybe their bolts are too.

I just built one from a QC10 lower and it was a single shot. Seems that a fair number of aftermarket triggers don't work with 9mm bolts. I took the Geissele trigger out and dropped in a mil-spec and it runs like a top. I've heard from people that know that Timney, Hyperfire and CMC triggers work, and JP I know will work too. Beyond that I'd be leery of this very problem.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To echo what Shadow said.

Look at the website that of the BCG manufacturer. Some of them say to use or not use certain shapes of hammers. I built one once and put in a drop-in trigger it would cycle but not lock the hammer back. So I'd work the charging handle fire, same result. Looked at the bcg and it said not to use the shape of hammer that I had in there. Put in a milspec group with better springs and it worked like a champ.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine had the same thing happen on a regular AR recently. Turned out to be a burr on something on the trigger assembly. I dont know if it was the hammer or trigger or disconnect. It was keeping the disconnect from catching the hammer I believe.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay.... I just took some 800 grit sand paper to the spur on the hammer that meets the disconnector. It seems to have solved the problem.

The problem was intermittent at best. But now seems to be gone.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom