Decision time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably can’t retire for another 20 years unless I can figure out health insurance.
Health insurance is a huge detriment to early retirement even if you have a substantial retirement nest egg.
Above a certain level of retirement income, obama care, (you can keep your plan, and keep your doctor, the average family will save $2500 a year 🖕) the cost of medical insurance is horrible.
My wife retired three years early. The cheapest obamacare we could get was $1100 a month with a $10,000 deductible. Basically, catastrophic insurance, not health insurance.
$12,000 a year with up to $10,000 medical expenses isn't chump change.
Yet we have friends that retired early, took a cash payout, put it under the mattress and get free obama care because their income indicates they only live on SS.
That path takes one into spending down the retirement nest egg with Social Security insolvency looming which is another issue.
Choose your path wisely.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my take. I worked like a dog most of my young life. I became a cop and made crappy wages for 20 years. I retired, HA!, from that and doubled my wages instantly never looking back. Worked like a dog again but made money and invested it. I got to finally retire before Biden stole the election.

I cannot enjoy my retirement because of the demonrats and the liberals and their screwing up of this country.

Who woulda thunk Biden could screw up a country so bad in his four years?

My point? You cannot count on anything except cold hard cash.

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i can keep people from running over me on my bike i can keep my health
Need is all relative. Can I retire today? Maybe. Would it be wise? Prob not. So do I need the money? Why yes, i like to eat and pay my bills and not be FSA.
Am I old? Yes, over 50.
Forget the desk job....until yer real old, and need to sit.
I work hard...sometimes. It still feels good.

Joe

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a 4.5% pay raise and no OT ever with less physical work desk job
Or
Work 80 hours a week at current pay with a chance to increase annual income by 2.5X by working OT at a more physical job and on your feet all day......
Or I guess
just not work OT at current on feet more physical job/pay rate if you have other things to do or your pusitis flairs up.
You can't take it with you but you do need a little money to get you to your final destination. If you like your home or fishing then sell stuff on ebay or be a guide. Tell them that all orders will be shipped saturday morning.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From personal experience after 50 your body starts going downhill and the more you fiscally use it the faster it goes not saying to stop doing fiscal work but take it slow and steady nothing fast and hard, and there is usually no guarantee that overtime will come your way but your job may require dont know, my job they got tired of me putting in overtime and made me a salary employee (with a small raise)so that i couldnt get overtime even thou it was illegal the way they went about it but i was at a point i really couldnt complain with out loosing my retirement in the few years i had left so i took it but let them know i wasnt really happy with it. your hourly wage will increase over time more than likely but your OT may decrease with time so just have to figure whats the best outcome for you personally and if it is worth it to you, think of yourself cause no one else will.
Well stated 👍👏👏👏👏

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does that desk job involve being forced to work 80+ hours WITHOUT compensation.

In an job I had, seen several take what they thought was a desk job and pay raise (against my requested advice). Only to discover, they were working more hours, no days off, middle of night callouts and less money.

Be careful what you ask for.
I kept my more physical job, turned down overtime, to give the younger guys more opportunities.

Think about it from every angle. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom