Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am leaving my current job in 3 weeks for a more "professional" position, which would require commuting on a weekly basis to another state. For the first year at this new job, I'll be making around $20K per year, with a steady increase each year thereafter. In 10 years, though, it's possible I could be making $70K+.

At my current place of employment however, two higher level positions just opened up this past week which would start at around $35K, with no real increases thereafter. It would be 10 minutes from my house.

I am pretty sure I know what I am going to do, but what would you do?

Welcome to the life of a pilot, by the way.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on promises or expectations on the out-of-state option. It may or may not pan out. I'd stay local, continually work on my skills and training, and keep my eye out for new opportunities. That's my $.02.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you got the higher-level job at your current place, what are the prospects of a better paying gig opening up somewhere in the next few years (specifically, within the number of years it would take the pay at the commuting job to outpace the pay at the higher level job where you are now?

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I am reviewing applications/resumes I look more favorably at someone that promotes through the ranks of a company than one that jumps around from company to company.

Not to mention a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do what makes you happy. If you have a family, it is nice to be close to home. I could make a ton more money, if I would go back to running fishing tools. It is more important to me to be home at night.
When I was single "years ago", I would go anywhere they wanted.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Commuting to another state on a weekly basis for $20/year. No! All the time and expense of doing so and time away from family. Loosing any/all accumulated vacation days, status, etc. No way. Go get the $35K job close to home and improve your skills/assets/knowledge and continue to build your resume locally. More money than the $20k per year then yes. Seems like you can better your career path locally than take $11+ per hour.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$20k a year sucks. 35k a year is almost double, plus you won't have the commute time, which I am sure will cost you. I would definitely take the 35k job at home vs the 20k job with a promise or more later. That promise almost always turns out to be BS. Make your money now, leave for a better job making what you want later.

Unless you don't qualify for the 35k job. here is the other question- what is the salary now?

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The $20K job I would be taking would be as a regional airline pilot. I'm a flight instructor right now. The regional airline I'd be working for could very easily fold in the next 10 years, but the $35K job would pretty much be a dead end job as far as my current company goes.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The regional job would provide more quality experience as a pilot, but the $35K job is more of an administrative position with a little flying on the side. Not quite what I spent 4 years training to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom