Deer Attractants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been watching the emergence of the various brands of attractants over the last couple of years beginning with C'mere deer. Some are more hype and marketing than others. Some really do work and have a sound basis for attracting the animals. I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit with some of the manufacturers directly and candidly talk about contents and why theirs are better than others. This has been enlightening. This current year I visited with the manufacturer of "Chestnut Magic". Chestnut Hill Outdoors has a large tree farm and produces the Dunston Chestnut which is a hybrid of a Chinese chestnut and an American chestnut. This hybrid is not susceptible to the chestnut blight that wiped out the American chestnuts all along the Eastern seaboard in the 1930's and 40's. Their product contains a high percentage of ground Dunston chestnuts which contain little or no tannins which gives red oaks their bitter taste. These nuts are sweet and not bitter. This is why they are preferred over red oaks and white oaks. How do I know, because the manufacturer handed me a Dunston chestnut to eat when I was at Dr. James Kroll's deer research facility in Texas this past March. The only problem I experienced was that I could only have 1 to eat. The nut was like eating peanuts or cashews. Man, I wanted more!! You could buy this product this year at Walmart. It works. The protein is 2X acorns and 4X the carbohydrates. Several friends and members of this forum purchased several of the Dunston's Chestnut trees to plant, even though it was known that we were on the border of insufficient annual rainfall, and see if we could make them grow. Most have died this year due to the lack of rain. I have 2 that survived and will plant shortly to see if I can be successful. Time will tell.

The second attractant that I was able to, directly, talk to the manufacturer was "Monster Magic" by Big Bucks Plus. I met them at the Backwoods Show in OKC this year as well. Some of you may remember their line of all metal gravity feeders. Several of my friends bought the feeders because of their quality and reasonable price. I spent quite a bit of time with the man while at the show and since then. He manufactures a high quality line of feed and a new attractant, Monster Magic". This company is following a different path with the attractant. The product can be applied to the ground like other products to attract the animals. The OTHER, and primary, use is to add it to the feeders to increase the protein content of your corn or feed AND to add essential chelated trace minerals, vitamins and fats, there are additional components that are not on the label, but are needed to prepare the deer for antler development or gestation. To me, this sets them apart from other companies who just want to cash in with attractants. This company is focused on the animals needs and health, and NOT the hunters dollars. Sure he is after the dollar, but his passion is to provide a premium product for the animals to develop. They want to provide your deer with essentials that will allow them to develop to their full potential sooner. Big Bucks Plus will be at the Backwoods show in 2015. I will be starting to add this product in my feeder and will start this upcoming year using their "Monster Bucks 20" feed.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have looked for ways to supplement corn to provide deer with better nutrition. I have tried using 14% protein horse feed but the deer didn't seem crazy about it. I may have to look into this.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The manufacturer of Big Buck Plus is, once again, going to be at the Backwoods Show this weekend with their line of products. It has been 2 years now since I met the manufacturer of Monster Buck 20 and started using their feed and mineral products. Their presence in the state has continued to grow as people talk to them at this show and experience the difference that the addition of a bio-stimulant makes to the feed. I have talked to several manufacturers of deer feed and upon asking them if their products contain a bio-stimulant to improve the deer's nutrient uptake. I am answered with "No", "Ahhhh" or a stare. I am driven by a passion to provide the best products I can for my herd. I am not a staff member of this firm nor am I compensated in ANY form by this company. I want to make that clear. The deer on my properties have readily taken to the "Monster Buck 20", the "Monster Buck Plus Mineral", and "Magic Attractant".
This year I am going to add an additional product of theirs to my feeder "Throw "N Bone" which is a top dressing in meal form that is highly palatable. This supplement contains all the essential trace minerals, vitamins and HEAT stress technology that helps in total antler growth while ensuring deer and elk receive the opportunity to show their full genetic potential.This product is added when deer and elk have shed their antlers and are ready to start growing for the new year. My deer have started to shed their antlers as I started picking up sheds last Saturday.

Heat stress is due to a vascular dilation of the veins in the deer and elks body which helps dissipate heat and allow additional vitamins and minerals to be absorbed in the body. This is where the bio-stimulant comes into the equation. In my environmental business have worked with bio-stimulants for over 25 years.

If you attend the Backwoods Show this weekend then go by the booth and talk to Big Buck Plus people and learn more about their products. Kurt Nielsen will provide you with sound advise based on 20+ years of producing feed. Their gravity flow feeders are superb, do no not rust out and are squirrel proof because they are all metal. Reasonably prices too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom