Do I need a new press?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Kenney

Marksman
Reaction score
I have never reloaded before, but I'm in the process of getting set up for it. I received a new bench for Christmas, built with the Cabela's kit, and was given an old Lyman press. The only markings on it are the letters "S-T" on the side, and it has six holes for dies. It is quite old, but appears to be clean and in working order. I'll edit later to add a picture of the press.

Can I use this to get started in reloading, or should I look at getting a whole new setup? All I have is the press, and would obviously need dies and everything else that goes along with it. Should I try to use this press, or just start from scratch?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do some research. Get some reloading manuals. You should be able to find information about your press either from the Lyman website or the internet. It sounds like you have a turrent press. I'm not too familiar with those. I use a single stage Hornady and two different Dillon presses.

Here is a link to some reloader videos. If yours isn't in there, you may find something you like.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've seen an old Lyman turret press that didn't take the standard 7/8ths or whatever they are dies. If it will take them then use the wee out of it, if not I'd just buy a new press, single stages aren't that expensive.

panayoti01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
as long as the dies fit should be no problem.
some of the older presses won't accept newer shell holders. i say newer as in made in the last 20 years. i think older press manufacterers each had their own shell holder design.

a freind of mine bought an older press and it had an oddball pocket for the shell holder. he remachined the pocket to accept std shell holders.

remember you can never have too many presses.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've got one of those. I picked it up for a song at a pawn shop a year or so ago. Good solid press and I use it quite a bit. I've got it set up for my .30-30 and pretty much just leave it like that. it accepts standard dies and shell holders. The only complaint I have with mine is I do not have the primer catcher cup so I just set a 5 gallon bucket/trash can under it to catch spent primers.
They are not quite as slick as the new Lyman T-mag press but not a thing wrong with them.

Wes Kenney

Marksman
Reaction score
Here are a couple of camera phone shots of the press, and my new bench:

ai928.photobucket.com_albums_ad121_weskenney_IMG_0369.jpg

ai928.photobucket.com_albums_ad121_weskenney_IMG_0370.jpg

ai928.photobucket.com_albums_ad121_weskenney_IMG_0371.jpg

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Wesley,

Merry Christmas. I gave that press to you to begin reloading. I have known your family for sometime.

That press has reloaded well over 50000 rounds of ammo. It was bought new by my uncles, and they gave it to me when I started to reload when I was 12. I am now 37 and been at it for sometime.

Enjoy the press, stay safe, and PM me for help and my cell phone.

Dan C.

Latest posts

Top Bottom