Do we need to inform rent-a-cops / security guards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was drinking coffee this morning and saw the neighborhood security drive by and made me wonder....

If I was jogging or riding on my bike at night and was stopped by neighborhood security. Should I or do I let them know I'm concealed carrying?

My first reaction is no..... but these guys are armed and may ask for my ID. If so, there might be a "miscommunication" if I reach back for my ID and accidentally print or reveal my firearm.

What do you guys think?

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was drinking coffee this morning and saw the neighborhood security drive by and made me wonder....

If I was jogging or riding on my bike at night and was stopped by neighborhood security. Should I or do I let them know I'm concealed carrying?

My first reaction is no..... but these guys are armed and may ask for my ID. If so, there might be a "miscommunication" if I reach back for my ID and accidentally print or reveal my firearm.

What do you guys think?

If they are card carrying peace officers, yes. If not, they are just armed security, and no.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No requirement to and I wouldn't tell them. If you're concealing properly, then it shouldn't be an issue. You also have no requirement to show any security any ID in a public location. If they're suspicious of you, let them call the cops just like any other citizen.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Security guards are citizens. I am not trying to upset any of them that are on here. Please keep that in mind.

They have no more police powers than any other citizen.

You do not have to show them your CCW.

If the security guard is an off duty police officer then it would be a little different I guess.

My posts have no authority and will never help you in a court of law so keep that in mind! My posts might even get you arrested!

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No requirement to and I wouldn't tell them. If you're concealing properly, then it shouldn't be an issue. You also have no requirement to show any security any ID in a public location. If they're suspicious of you, let them call the cops just like any other citizen.

What he said. Glocktogo is so much better at this.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they're off duty working a security gig and they're wearing their police uniform, then I would comply with the request. It's not worth arguing the semantics of on vs. off duty and most officers are sworn to uphold the law regardless of on or off duty status.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they're security guards for YOUR neighborhood, it may be beneficial to get to know them or at least make an introduction. They may stop someone from stealing your TV one day. The added benefit is you don't get stopped in the middle of your morning/evening jog/walk. Just a freindly wave and a "Hi insert name here" & you carry on without interuption.

Latest posts

Top Bottom