Do we need to inform rent-a-cops / security guards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Guy, thank you and you're right - it is pretty clear:

with any law enforcement officer of this state
or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during
the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

If said law enforcement officer is working security, then clearly, absent any 'incident', they're not acting "during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop".

You're just like my girlfriend, who tells me to read the instructions when I buy something new. Look at the statute? Too easy, man! :D

Now if a "detainment" occurs, then even if they are security-guardin', they remain "law enforcement officers" 24/7, so the duty to inform would kick in. Of course, presumably they'd be wearing their duty uniforms, 99% chance, as they commonly do, so as to put you on notice that they're LEOs, not *just* security. But ordinary encounters / being in general proximity is not gonna trigger it.

One question though, that could come up: Is it, or is it not, a 'detainment' when you stop at the table with the OKCPD officer acting as security at a gun show, for checking firearms at the door? I.e. if you stop to let them put a ziptie on the gun you're gonna try to sell, is that a 'detainment' or not? :) It's actually a good question, because I sometimes carry at gun shows - if I happen to be carrying when I'm out and stop by the gun show, I ignore their 'no guns' sign just as I do other businesses' signs. Point being, I gotta reveal (and therefore not carry), arguably, if I am selling a gun and stop at the table as you're required to do to get the ziptie put on. I'd need to leave either my CCW or my for-sale gun in the car - one or the other. Splittin hairs, maybe, but...

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to know what neighborhoods have armed security?

When I was going to college in Nashville TN the apartment complex I was in got a bunch of people relocated by FEMA after Katrina and about 2 months after that we had armed security 24/7. It went from being a pretty nice complex to a giant POS overnight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom