Do you ever feel guilty when you 'reward' your self with something expensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell no.

I do feel a bit irresponsible when I blow money on fun stuff sometimes, but never guilty. I guess I'm doing pretty good for my age and what I've had to work with, but sometimes I feel stupid when blowing money. Like I should be throwing it at my mortgage, investing, or something more whitebread. Their are certain things I don't spend much money on right now because of that. Totally different than guilt though. You shouldn't feel guilty for enjoying life.

Thats's a perfect way of putting it! I acquired a couple of new toys because of the deal I got on em recently, and I had to think twice. I should be paying down a student loan, but WTF did I get that loan for if not to make money for some toys??? Then I realized that I'd still pay the loan off in two weeks and be bad to kosher anyways, and all the irresponsible feelings subsided. Now I just need for reddog1 to get the new babies in for me to put ALL those nasty feelings behind me!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's "really expensive"?? I don't begrudge a single solitary dime GC spends on himself, nor does he me. The kids are raised, the bills are paid and the dog is fed. I don't care about anything else in this world except making sure he dies with a smile on his face.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have rewarded myself and continue to do so with the last 32 pus years when I met my wife. She has never ever been expensive, I am the one who spends. She never ever questions my hobbies, over the years have been restoring and collecting M1's, taking classes on self defense before there were any like there are now, hunting, etc. Just sayin', I am the most blessed man on this earth. She will never be expensive to me. Sorry, for the rave, but it is sort of on topic, and I pray that the rest on you are as lucky and blessed as I have been.
Lone Wolf

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I have a soft spot for guitars. I rarely sell them after buying one. I dont really consider myself a serious collector even though I have alot of them. Serious collectors to me are guys who buy and own really expensive and nice vintage instruments- my best is probably my first electric,a kind of worn old 68' Gibson Les Paul Custom I found used in a pawn shop in LA when I was 16 when I was just starting out playing in metal bands after 6 years of classical lessons.
A few times in between marriages and live-in girlfriends I would be slumming it in an apartment with just lawn furniture and a water bed because I spent so much time gone gigging but I was loaded down with tons of cases of my guitars stacked and laying every where as well as amps and gear. I have GAS for gear bad. In our new house I have guitars and tube amps stuffed under everybodies beds, in closets, stacked out in my little small studio/shop, pretty much any where and every where I can store em- and I only take 3 of my main guitars out with me when gigging. Right now thats my newer more modern shredders- 2 Schecter 6string superstrats and one 7string superstrat.
When my dads dad died he didnt own much but an old Chevy BelAir, his beloved Martin acoustic, an old early 50s Strat and an old Fender amp. I remember banging around on those guitars when I was little. I didnt know they were old and valuable then. Those 2 guitars though started the bug that grew into a monster as I got older and which consumes my entire life now. My wife could leave me today but I would still have all of my 'girlfriends' and tube heads...

Yep, you are speaking my language... I just got done building a DIY KWS Strat and then found one in Ft Worth for $400 w/hardcase. Don't need it. The boutique pups I got from Benson Custom Handwounds nails the KWS tone. But GAS is an ongoing issue. I recon the pawns here in Norman weekly as well as checking CL daily. I've scored a '65 Bassman head for $50 that I flipped on trade for a Fender Pro Jr, that I then flipped on straight trade at GC for a new Fender Mustang II amp. I bought both my Squier '51s in Norman, one for $50. A Switch Innovo III Signature (pawnshop)..... my Wife just shakes her head and goes back to dusting her Tony Stewart gear... This is the Switch: [Broken External Image][Broken External Image]

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
DOOD! I FEEL ya!
I bought a half a pair of shoe laces last week! Blew all my "Gun Money" on one fashion accessory. I am gonna go sell plasma tomorrow so the wife and I can split a pack of Toms cheese and crackers for lunch all week next week!!
I HATE cheese and crackers!:cry11:

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one is kind of hard for me to answer. Sometimes I do feel guilt or some emotion that I don't like because I am fortunate to be comfortable financially and so many of my friends and relatives have a tough time making it. Not that I am wealthy or live a flashy lifestyle, but wife and I have done well in our professions and have both kids through college and on their own, so we have more disposable income. I grew up poor and always thought how good it would feel to go to a car dealership and pay cash for a new vehicle, but it really wasn't what I thought it would be like.

Oh, well - don't have time to worry about it becasue I'm busy trying to wear out some of my toys so the kids won't have to when I'm gone!

Cedar Creek

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't or maybe won't use the word guilty. How about "Cognitive Anxiety"??!! I grew up in a family that earned their wealth, and with this they knew what it was like not to have money. From my grandparents(who grew up in the depression) to my parents......."Its not how much you make, but how much you can save", "Make hay while you can", "Save for a rainy day", ....My grandfather...loved this phrase....."Boy, you better save your money or you'll end up living on the poor farm". Yep, there was one just North of Chandler,.....Chandler where 90% of my family lived and grew up.

He explained that when he was a kid(no social security nor federal benefits) that when you ran out of money you moved to a commune with other people and grew your own food, made your own clothes...etc. The Poor Farm.

This in turn was implanted into me. Examples: I won't buy a new truck, but I'll buy another farm(40acres+), I haven't bought any new guns lately but I have bought oil and gas mineral rights and stocks over the past years. I try to pay cash for most everything I buy.

**Don't get me wrong, I make sure my wife has what she wants and needs, myself......and as I get older....I like things payed off and investments.....so much so that I want to make sure my (11 years younger than me) wife will have a very comfortable life when I leave this planet we call earth.

Back to the subject, guilty....no, maybe a little anxiety. Why, I don't know. Even when I know I can pay cash for an item, I still have that mental tingle feeing. Right now my wife wants me to buy a new truck and pay it off before I leave the dealer's parking lot.....but, in the back of my mind.....I like my beat up Nissan thats payed off and making me money. I'd rather have more cattle or more farms than a dang-blasted-expensive truck!!! If I need a new vehicle or need more space....thats when I'll borrow the wifes 2010, BMW.

I have a buddy who is a cadiologist/surgeon. He has a fantastic home and a Porsche....that there are only 6 of these in the U.S.
I am happy for him and his lifestyle....would I want it...NO!! I admire his earning potential....would I pay that much for a car(over $100,000)...HE!! NO!!! I joke with him all the time that he has a very fast car, but my truck will get me from point A to point B in the same manner....just not as fast. I joke with him...he can't haul much hay in that car to feed his cattle and my cows don't care if I drive a Yugo or a Porsche!!! hee hee hee

Funny thing is.... I'll spend money for Cuban cigars and bottles of whisky or scotch....but do without in other areas??

Go figure??

Cohiba

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom