Does anybody here install or had installed a steel roof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Metal Roofing appears to be a scam.
I've called 20 places, they all say the same thing.
They want my wife to be available for their high pressure sales talk and won't give prices unless she's there.
She's out of the country and I wanted the roof done or at least a price before she gets back.
A real roofing company can tell me over the phone their price on a 28 square asphalt roof immediately.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went thru the same thing the last time I replaced my storm damaged roof. All the companies I called said it was 3X the cost of replacing the asphalt shingles so I let it go. I think they just didn't do metal roofs. Then when I built my cabin in the woods I wanted a metal roof so I did it myself. I dealt with Indaco metal for my metal and trim. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, call them, I be they know some metal roof contractors that could give you an accurate bid.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only had one metal roof in my lifetime. I was replaced by shingles after about 8 years. I had a bit of hail damage that was hard enough to dent it pretty good. Caused a gap on the connection and leaked. Cost to fix was astronomical. I crawled up there on that slick piece of crap myself and squirted caulk in the gap, then ordered a new shingle roof. I can fix those myself if need be.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Metal Roofing appears to be a scam.
I've called 20 places, they all say the same thing.
They want my wife to be available for their high pressure sales talk and won't give prices unless she's there.
She's out of the country and I wanted the roof done or at least a price before she gets back.
A real roofing company can tell me over the phone their price on a 28 square asphalt roof immediately.
3 times the price because they know they will never be back. shop around like Tynyphil says

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For insurance purposes I had to get quotes for a new roof on my place and this is the message I got from the roofer

"Ok. Here is what I’m thinking

Metal is hard to figure without going to yard and getting everything figured.

Shingles.
Lower level $2310
Whole house $4950
Metal whole house $6960"

So 5k for singles vs 7k to do metal.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes. My insurance on the metal roof is different. They specifically state they don’t cover dents. I can live with that as long as it doesn’t leak. I think the slope will have a lot to do with that. My cabin roof is very steep @ 10/12. The discount given to the insurance policy for a fire resistant metal roof is nice.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For insurance purposes I had to get quotes for a new roof on my place and this is the message I got from the roofer

"Ok. Here is what I’m thinking

Metal is hard to figure without going to yard and getting everything figured.

Shingles.
Lower level $2310
Whole house $4950
Metal whole house $6960"

So 5k for singles vs 7k to do metal.
For $2k difference I’d do the metal. Insurance discount will help a little. Plus a little mor peace of mind in these OK hail storms

Latest posts

Top Bottom