Does anybody here install or had installed a steel roof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the "impact resistant" 30 year GAF? Just had ours done a couple months back, over 10 grand 27-28 sq IIRC. bidenomics I guess.

No its not the Armor Shield.

HDZ is a step below, what it does have is a high wind rating.

Impact shingles are nice, but they can still suffer damage. There is a home owners reduction for impact shingles.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My folks had to replace the roof on the farmhouse they bought in 2011 (insurance required it), so my dad went down to Steelco in Paoli and bought the materials to do it himself. The house has a pretty simple rectangular hipped roof (all ridges, no valleys), so the only "difficult" part was cutting the angles at the hips, but that just involved a straight edge and a metal cutting blade in a circular saw. I don't know if he bought a kit or just bought the parts, but he got the roof panels, the caps for the ridge and hips, the pre-shaped foam to seal the ends of the panels, the color-matched screws, and the rolls of butyl to seal the seams where the panels overlap all from Steelco.

After more than a decade of Oklahoma weather, the roof still looks pretty much like it did when Dad and my uncles installed it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, how much material are you guys being quoted for that you’d get a new roof for less than $10K? I got three quotes this past spring, and they were all over $20K for an architectural shingle roof.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Up in my neck of the woods I think metal roofs are cheaper than shingles, they are being put on everywhere!

My house actually has a metal roof. I know it was cheaper than shingles because the seller of the house had to put a new roof on before the house was sold. Part of the deal.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my roof replaced in December 2022, insurance covered all of it, $8400, composite GAF HDZ.

Just finished a new roof today. Same brand shingles as you mentioned and all new roof hardware. $27k. But it also had to have new solid decking out over the 1-6 and 1-8 decking the hime was built with. The split lap decking is no longer legal and or when roof replaced it is a requirement .

Next one will be metal on it.

Yours today would be 22% higher is the bad news! And yours had solid decking that is now a code requirement as well as an Insurance requirement Nation wide.

I own another home that has two, yes two layers of 26 gauge R-Panel on it. Nothing ever leaked on the first one, and damn sure nothing is going to effect with any size hail. Sure it may get beat up, but that is not an issue to me.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a metal roof installed on our new patio roof, no issues, no talking to the wife. We started with one sub, but ended with another(long story). I would suggest A Fricker Roofing in Tulsa, he is outstanding.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys that did mine would have installed on whatever roof I had. Permanent Roofing solutions.

I’ll post a photo tomorrow. If I remember it and I’m still alive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom