Does anybody here install or had installed a steel roof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For insurance purposes I had to get quotes for a new roof on my place and this is the message I got from the roofer

"Ok. Here is what I’m thinking

Metal is hard to figure without going to yard and getting everything figured.

Shingles.
Lower level $2310
Whole house $4950
Metal whole house $6960"

So 5k for singles vs 7k to do metal.
How many squares?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For $2k difference I’d do the metal. Insurance discount will help a little. Plus a little mor peace of mind in these OK hail storms
I will brag on this roofer for a little bit. Insurance stated that I had to get quotes to get it replaced because the roof was in "such bad shape" so I called him out and he gave me prices. So then he basically says if you don't mind me asking why are you looking at a new roof because there is nothing wrong with yours. I told him that insurance demanded that it need to be replaced and he said no I will write them a letter saying that it is not needed at all and give you my stamp. He said if I wanted to get it replaced he would gladly do it for me but it is absolutely unnecessary and had many many more years of life in it. Insurance accepted his letter and said okay I guess it's not needed and that was the end of that. When the time does come though I will definitely use this guy and plan on doing metal.

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a metal roof installed in 2011. Got 3 shingle quotes and the metal was a fewvhundred over the highest shingle quote. Got a tax rebate on it. Used an Amish group out near Chouteau. They were awesome. I would do it again. Every house within a mile of my house had shingle roof replaced after Father's Day storm but I had no roof damage.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were you I’d go to a supplier and ask for contractor names. If your le having trouble getting prices from a roofing company then cut them out and go to a contractor. Let him mark up the material cost a little and pay for his labor. I think metal roofing is easier than standard

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have installed metal roofing on many metal buildings and personally metal is alot easier to put up than traditional shingles unless your doing it on days like we have had in the triple digits then it not easy for any kind of roof no matter who you are.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Metal can still leak, fasteners can loosen, dont use a #2 board or furring strip under the metal, use pressure treated.

That metal roof will have condensate on the bottom side of it anything not treated will rot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom