Does OKCPD Have Physical Fitness Tests Periodically.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was stopped yesterday by a very obese Lt in an unmarked car as he worked the 25 mph speed limit on the access road just south of I40 by Meridian. I was speeding and he gave me a citation so fair enough. He also looked pretty old and I was wondering if they have a mandatory retirement age or periodic physical fitness tests. Maybe he’s in better shape than he looked and he was nice enough when he issued the citation. I know years ago they had a height and weight chart that officers had to adhere to. Maybe that went out the window with affirmative action. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is if they ask the guy to lose weight, or fire him for being chunky they open themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit.

Gotta the love the snowflake version of the world huh?

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The problem is if they ask the guy to lose weight, or fire him for being chunky they open themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit.

Gotta the love the snowflake version of the world huh?

Seems like they should be able to demonstrate basic ability to perform the job. I think the OKCFD requires it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like they should be able to demonstrate basic ability to perform the job. I think the OKCFD requires it.

The FD does in the pre-hire physicals in order to qualify for the state requirements to be entered into the pension system. I had about fifteen years on the job before health related issues were being addressed. The City was complaining about medical disabilities that were job related and blaming it on the guys for lack of activity at the stations.

Partially true, but there is only so much you can do on a 24 hour shift with nothing to work with. There were normal daily station activities that were required. Radio checks, vehicle checks, station clean up, and of course all the paperwork that goes with each activity and incident. Each station is also required to check their district each month for new streets and addresses and do map updates. They are also required to perform a certain number of business and school inspections each month. If an inspection is failed, a warning is given unless it’s a serious violation. A re-inspection is performed later and when completed a report has to be turned in. Then you had to have a minimum of two hours of continuing education fire training per shift. Then there was the also medical training for first responders, EMTs and Paramedics. Also, a number of fire hydrants have to be tested each month.

Any physical training was done with personal equipment brought from home or donated by the personnel working there. A request was turned in for weight machines because injuries had occurred from using free weights. The machines would have made lifting weights safer. When the city got the proposal for the machines and the cost, it was a quick NO! A few years later shortly before I retired, weight machines were bought and a health and safety committee was created to assist in nutrition and training.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

FD, yes... carrying hose, running into burning buildings and performing highly physical job duties is an integral part of their daily performance.

Cops are not required to chase anyone. And guys like that (and me) wouldn't.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FD, yes... carrying hose, running into burning buildings and performing highly physical job duties is an integral part of their daily performance.

Cops are not required to chase anyone. And guys like that (and me) wouldn't.

The cars, radios and helicopters do most of the chasing, but there is still a lot of foot pursuits when the cars can’t go any further and the suspect bails. Then it depends how bad they don’t want to go to jail when it gets really physical.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cars, radios and helicopters do most of the chasing, but there is still a lot of foot pursuits when the cars can’t go any further and the suspect bails. Then it depends how bad they don’t want to go to jail when it gets really physical.

I know there CAN be a lot of physical labor and running involved. I also know there are plenty of morbidly obese police officers out there more than willing to let the "young bucks" and rookies do all of that crap. Like I said... they're not required to chase anyone.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I know there CAN be a lot of physical labor and running involved. I also know there are plenty of morbidly obese police officers out there more than willing to let the "young bucks" and rookies do all of that crap. Like I said... they're not required to chase anyone.

So this Lt, if he so chooses, can collect a nice salary and run radar in a 25 mph zone all day but is not required to chase anyone? Dang it, I knew I should have made a run for it.
I support law enforcement and couldn’t do the job for one day without getting myself in trouble but what happens if he stops someone and ends up in a fight for his life? I guess he may be tougher than he looks or hopes backup can get there quickly. Hopefully, the backup won’t be his buffet buddy. Seems like there should be some kind of minimal physical fitness requirement for his own safety and that of his fellow officers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom