Does runing a brush from bore to breech affect a guns accuracy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have some shooting buddies that swear running a bore brush fom the bore to the breech hurts the guns accuracy. I can see if you damage the crown but they say it affects the bore some how.They have some high dollar rifles and i have no reason to doubt them but just dont see how if you dont hurt the crown how it would matter.

Anyone else experiance his?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of LEO friends that went to sniper school and they were instructed of the same thing. Gun should be cleaned in the direction of bullet travel.

Something about little micro fingers that normally go from breech to barrell getting jacked up if you go the opposite direction.

I am like most in the impression of just how much could it affect accuracy, probably not enough for the average shooter.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You clean from back to front to keep from jacking up the muzzle crown. The "micro fingers" thing is so BS. You aren't forming steel at room temperature with bronze wires.

Bore guides are cheep and if you have an expensive rifle there's no reason to not use one and clean breech to muzzle. Good barrels and fitting are expensive.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot on the Marine Corps Rifle Team and we punched the bore from muzzle end on our match M14s; however, we used brass guides at the muzzle so we didn't jack up the crown. When we shot M16s the 2112 Match Armorers said to run the rod from the chamber side and pull all the way thru (as has been stated above). For what its worth we shot those M14s at 1000 yards holding good groups.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Running a rod from the muzzle is the only way to do it on an M1 / M14, so you have to put up with it. However, in all other cases, you want to do it in the opposite direction since the crown is the most important part of the barrel.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Running a rod from the muzzle is the only way to do it on an M1 / M14, so you have to put up with it. However, in all other cases, you want to do it in the opposite direction since the crown is the most important part of the barrel.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=91

Cleaning from the muzzle is not always required. I've been using this kit for the last decade on rifles and pistols including 22s. Being able to pull a very tight patch through the barrel will clean it fast. The entire kit fits in a pouch that carries easily on a belt; it has a belt loop. The hardware is all brass with standard threading for brushes and the steel cables are plastic coated to protect the bore.

[Broken External Image]

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For you bolt gun folks, if you can't find a proper sized bore guide for your rifle at your favorite basspro/academy/whatever, contact sinclair and order it for your action/cartridge.

Use the bore guide, clean from the breech, and take care not to ding the crown with your rod/jag during cleaning.

For you AR fans, you should be able to find bore guides for 5.56 (I got a couple at Sports World-Tulsa recently).

Mini-14, M1A1, M14, M1 can be cleaned from the muzzle (as mentioned earlier), taking care not to damage the crown, or use a pull-through system from the breech.

Some shooters like the OTIS kits --see the picture from 1911user above (I have one shipping this week).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning from the chamber end is preferred but not required. If you're going to clean from the muzzle, always use a quality rod that incorporates a bore guide (i.e. Dewey). Other tricks are to wipe down the rod after each pass so it isn't carrying debris (acting as an abrasive) back into the barrel.

Wear on the crown due to the cleaning rod rubbing against it is one of the quickest ways to degrade accuracy.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In gunsmith school they taught that you should clean from the muzzle because you could nick the chamber cleaning from the breech. And that it was easier to chuck the barrel in the lathe and recrown than to repair a nick or gouged chamber or throat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom