Early Birthday present.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen and if you don't mind share the tips from the trainer of the traits to look for in a pup. I would like a German Shepard as the next family pet (hopefully it will be many years in the future) and would like to know what to look for.

Congrats and Happy Birthday.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC I just emailed you some pics. Thanks for helping me out.

EFsDad, The trainer told me to ask the breeder if I could take the puppy/dog away from the other dogs and/or her kennel. 1st try to hold her in your arms like a baby. (if they will tolerate it for a little while that is good) 2nd try to pick her up by her arm pits with your hands under her arms. Bring her face close up to your face and look her in the eyes (once again if they will tolerate it for a while that is good) 3rd lay her on her side and put slight pressure with your hand on her side as if you are restraining her movement (another one to see if they will tolerate doing something against what they want to do) 4th while she is playing or while someone else has her take a food dish or something that will make some noise and toss it on the ground in the area (if they jump and run away they are very skiddish, if they jump and turn and look to see what it is that is good, if they jump and turn and look and then go to invesitgate then that is great) 5th take a ball and roll it around on the ground around her and see if she will play with it.

With Elsa there was a small boy that was the breeders son. He really liked playing with Elsa. If gave me a chance to watch me interact with him (which I liked, we are going to start having kids soon so we want a "family" dog) but the boy would not really leave us alone. I took a tennis ball with us (it was a little too big for her to get in her mouth but she was still able to bite it and carry it). Because the boy was playing with her, instead of using a food dish for the 4th test, I tossed the tennis ball close by her. She jumped looked at it and then ran and grabbed it. I thought that was a good sign. Ofcourse I already knew I was prolly gonna get her, but that was the icing on the cake for me.

Oh and thanks for the Happy Birthday, it is not until Sep 22nd. We knew we could not wait till then to pick up Elsa, someone else would have grabbed her up.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the pics...

"Day we brought her home"
ai54.tinypic.com_16t7hj.jpg

"Long hard day"
ai53.tinypic.com_2ajc0ae.gif

"Look into my eyes"
ai56.tinypic.com_1zlrxwg.jpg

"She likes her ball"
ai55.tinypic.com_f759d.gif

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take lots of pictures while they are little. If you wait until next week it will be too late.

Get ready for two years of teething. Give it kong chew toys but do not be surprised when it eats your deck, your fence and anything else!

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have bought her tons of chew toys. Every time I catch her chewing anything else I correct her and give her a chew toy.

I have a friend that wants to take some professional pics of her. When they are done I will make sure to post them up. We take pictures almost daily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom