Early Season Honkers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make my own sausage from venison, and use the high temp cheese.

The upland birds are going to suck this year, so I may have to take up waterfow.

I had some mallard when I was a kid, and hated it with the orange stuffing. Never hunted waterfowl since. I'm not a big fan of oranges so maybe that was the issue.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make my own sausage from venison, and use the high temp cheese.

The upland birds are going to suck this year, so I may have to take up waterfow.

I had some mallard when I was a kid, and hated it with the orange stuffing. Never hunted waterfowl since. I'm not a big fan of oranges so maybe that was the issue.

Jerkey, man do I love to make jerkey out of the geese I pile up. Not a big fan of ground jerky though. More of a sliced fan.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there ya go, I'm a jerky fan.

What do you use for Geese? Same as venison?

Yes sir. I have always soaked the meat after I slice it in salt water to draw as much blood out as possible (try to turn it white) and then use the same jerky recipes for it as I use for venison.

I experimented with a liquid marinade this past week that I really enjoyed. I bought a bottle of liquid hickory smoked steak marinade that made some great jerky. Normally I am a dry seasoning fan but will most likely try this again on the next batch as well.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We shot an incredible amount of snow geese last year and I think we tried every cooking method known to man. Suprisingly one of the best was soaking in salt water for 3 days, changing the water daily, marinading in liquid smoke and garlic for one night, running in thru a tenderizer and cooking it like chicken fried steak. We sprung it on a few friends and they suspected nothing until we told them it was goose:) Tried it on some canadians and ducks also and they were good like that as well. My wife even ate it so that's saying something!

Latest posts

Top Bottom