Early Teal 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not much of a duck hunter, but my buddy wants to try some different ways of cooking them.
So, guess I'll get a stamp and get some myself. We get together to cook some wild game different ways so this will be another adventure.
Never been a waterfowl hunter much in the past but do like duck in restaurants knowing it's tame duck.
I think my mistake in the past has been cooking well done vs medium rare.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is anyone seeing any teal coming through yet? I can't imagine there's too many around. I was think about trying a few good looking ponds in Dewey Co, but haven't seen any myself.
I may just go dove hunting this weekend instead.
If you kill any post em up here!
There are some around, haven't seen many. The big water in KS on the refuges are dry, so it might be an interesting season here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not much of a duck hunter, but my buddy wants to try some different ways of cooking them.
So, guess I'll get a stamp and get some myself. We get together to cook some wild game different ways so this will be another adventure.
Never been a waterfowl hunter much in the past but do like duck in restaurants knowing it's tame duck.
I think my mistake in the past has been cooking well done vs medium rare.
Pluck the breast, leave the skin on and filet out the breast and grill med rare has been about the best overall. No soaking or anything unless you can't cook them that day. The one guy I hunt with plucks the breast, filets the breasts out, rinses it off, walks over to the Trager and grills immediately with just salt and pepper medium rare. skin side up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen any, but a few resident mallards.
I haven't shot a teal since moving from Gulf coast. They are excellent table fare and a blast to hunt. Fast little buggers.

The drought would make things difficult, imo

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I scouted for almost 3 hours this morning in Lincoln and Okfuskee counties. Didn’t see a single waterfowl bird other than two swans of all things. I was in Caddo county yesterday and saw no birds either. I’ve also been to Enid, Braman, Blackwell, Ponca and Stilly this week. Didn’t see anything. Only thing I’ve been seeing is the local birds down by my office downtown and the 60 or so honkers that fly over my house at dusk every evening at the same time every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom