Eating before a colonoscopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I’m getting my 3rd colonoscopy tomorrow and my belly is eating my back bone because I’m on a clear liquid diet any of you all have any secret recipes for this situation?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ate a some small food the day before and that evening. But it was just enough to satisfy the hunger. I can’t sleep when I’m hungry. I had my colonoscopy and everything was fine. As long as you do it early enough you should be able to get it out before bed. By the way, if people don’t like drinking the gross drink you have to drink. Just get some miralax and mix approximately 20 capfuls into the water and drink it over the next couple of hours. It will clean you out but you won’t taste a thing. That is all that’s in those drinks anyway. The active ingredient in miralax which is Polyethylene Glycol 3350. Then they add some electrolytes and that’s where the bad taste comes in. I would drink some Gatorade to replenish some vitamins and minerals.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beef, chicken and veggie broth, gatorade, depending on the color. coffee is allowed the day before but..................well you know the instructions as well as I do. You gotta gut it out, my friend. FWIW, I had one in February, and the prep is worse than the procedure.

In my case, I went in, got stuck for the IV, and a while later, I was wheeled into the room, and a few moments after, I was back in my room with my lovely bride standing over me.

In my case, everything turned out good.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you advocating sneaking something in, keep in mind, if the "cleanout" isn't good enough, when they go in with the scope, you run the risk of having a "suboptimal visualization of the colonic mucosa" which could lead to having to repeat the thing, or missing a small polyp (typically 2-4mm) that will likely turn into cancer if not found.

Pretty big risk, if you ask me, but hey, it's up to you. If you're going to shoot yourself in the foot, why bother even having it done in the first place? Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom