Economy turning around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not good news for those who hope Obama takes a dive due to the economy, but new jobless claims are down ~50,000 this week. Fox reporting it is the lowest level in 4 years? Increases in manufacturing, etc.

Good economic news is good news, but bad news for the Republican party in politics. The question is, is the GOP going to welcome good numbers, or are they going to spend more time discrediting the numbers? I understand there are lots of things to look at, including disenfranchised workers who are no longer looking, way to manipulate data, etc. But that works both ways, and we have seen steadily dropping unemployment numbers for the last - what, 4 or 5 months now?

What do you think?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recent numbers will quietly be revised up on a Friday afternoon news dump...like they have done very often. "Oh look, jobless claims are below 400K! We are doing awesome!"....then two weeks later the real numbers come out over 400K and narry a peep.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate when the numbers are posted too often. Like this week jobless claims dropped x amount and then next week jobless claims surging. Or stocks open on a good note today, look like the economy is back on track and then tomorrow stocks plummet and we're all screwed. Watching the trends slightly more long term(monthly/quarterly) give a better picture. Just my 2 cents, but if more people are finding work, good for them.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a slight, but steady, improvement across most US sectors. I would attribute it to people's inherent tendency toward optimism and to the ability of clever Americans' to overcome odds. Politicians and partisans, however, will attribute it to their favorites' actions. But, the reality is, you can't keep good people down forever. We figure it out eventually and find a way. Good job, folks, keep working hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom