Eye dominance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my son does everything left handed except shooting. however, he recently went to shooting pistol lefty because he was hitting better one day. seems to be working but he still shoots rifle and shotgun right handed.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am left handed and typically shoot pistols left and rifles right. But I train with both hands and have got to be nearly equal with either. Its just takes a bit of shooting to get there.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I do (right handed, left eye dominant), but i turn to the right. I find I strain less that way. Also, i have slightly better vision in my left eye.

My advice is have her practice acquiring proper sight picture until the head turn is reflexive, and make sure she's focusing on that front sight. When i started doing that, my groups tightened up significantly.

Also Right hand/Left eye dominant, and using the same method as Nate, and seem to do OK.

Now throw a rifle in the mix and things get a bit dicey. I can sight with my right eye, it just takes a lot longer to reset & focus after each shot.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your left eye dominant!

Could be but I naturally sight with my right eye and the same thing happens when I attempt to sight with my left eye. I went in to see about lasik at one point and they had me look at a point on a wall and using my hands make an opening and raise them up to that point so that I could see it clearly. Then after closing one eye the eye that could still see that point is considered the dominant one. Two out of three times my right eye is the one that shows as dominant but one out of three my left takes dominance. The more tired I am the more dominant my right eye becomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance has some information about forcing dominance to a particular eye and some other info.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have a eye dominance issue to some degree as well. I'm left handed naturally & shoot my pistol left handed but when it comes to rifle or shotgun I cannot shoot them left handed, I can only shoot them right handed. I have never been able to figure out why but besides having focus trouble just the feel of holding a rifle left handed just feels all wrong to me.

I see from posts above I'm not the only lefty with this issue, LOL.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a rifle, the best thing to do IMO is just to learn to shoot with whichever hand is on your dominant eye side. Taped up glasses is a trick you can use at the range, but it isn't something you'd want to rely on for life or death situations. It isn't too hard to become proficient at shooting with your weak side. Everybody should practice frequently with weak side anyway, IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom