Fictional Books That Could Happen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SWMBO spent much of her time reading it criticizing the many flaws in their responses to the event. We've been through a number of hurricanes and similar events. Plus a bit of "homesteading" on previously unimproved land while we were still young and on a limited budget. Also separated by an inconvenient remote tour that put me in Diyarbakir for a year... :cry11:

I didn't like it either. 🤷 Grumpy went on and on and on about what a good book it was. When I finished it I asked him "Did you actually read this book??" 🤷

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m confused about something. Why is unintended consequences so expensive to buy? Never read it but may have to add it to my list!

Man I've wondered that also. The guy who sold me my copy didn't know it was out of print. He came back and wanted another smooth c-note outta me a couple of weeks later. I laughed outloud at him. (That was 25 years ago.)

Eta: I see gsarg beat me to it.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m confused about something. Why is unintended consequences so expensive to buy? Never read it but may have to add it to my list!
It's out of print, and some folks consider it a blueprint for insurrection. Was written in the 90's, when Clinton was President, and some conservatives were afraid he was going to go full tyrant on us. I just advised folks to buy guns, ammo, and food. Then when Bush was President, the liberals were afraid he'd go full tyrant on them. Gave the same advice then.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually many books here that I have never heard of! Thank you for posting. I do have a few suggestions as well:

"Ominous Parallels" It's not fiction and somewhat of a difficult read, a scholarly assessment of what is going on now or may eventually happen.

I have seen two others mentioned and current politics and tech seem to agree, "Animal Farm" and "1984." I agree with that.

Here's a wildcard, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Some mental gymnastics are required though. In the book every child is a test tube baby, decanted instead of born. Women who give birth are frowned upon. There is the high tech cities and reservations outside of them, were the "savages" are outliers, women give birth, the fathers have a role in the family and family relationships are important. The Alpha's are given the best of everything, they are nurtured from the moment they are conceived in a factory and in schooling. An underclass of Delta's and Epsilons are purposely bred to be "dumb" enjoy hard work to provide menial labor. This is done in our education system now, where our Alphas get the best of everything after graduating Harvard or Yale, while inner city youth and others are given poor education in many instances right from the start. Another element of the book that holds true, SOMA, a euphoric drug used to control the populace. The Alpha's use it for recreation only, the Delta's and Epsilons are controlled with it. The Parallel could be Marijuana and THC, or even anti depressants or other drugs. Essentially there are two classes in the modern society, The Alpha's and Beta's who get the nicest of everything, and the gamma's and epsilons that get the worst, with the "savages" on reservations living in general squaller. Like Soma, sex is used to placate people with no consequences, no children, no families.

"Brave New World" is a great dystopian novel, even though they do have flying cars, it does have many parallels to what is occurring today and what the WEF is trying to "create."

Last edited:

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually many books here that I have never heard of! Thank you for posting. I do have a few suggestions as well:

"Ominous Parallels" It's not fiction and somewhat of a difficult read, a scholarly assessment of what is going on now or may eventually happen.

I have seen two others mentioned and current politics and tech seem to agree, "Animal Farm" and "1984." I agree with that.

Here's a wildcard, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Some mental gymnastics are required though. In the book every child is a test tube baby, decanted instead of born. Women who give birth are frowned upon. There is the high tech cities and reservations outside of them, were the "savages" are outliers, women give birth, the fathers have a role in the family and family relationships are important. The Alpha's are given the best of everything, they are nurtured from the moment they are conceived in a factory and in schooling. An underclass of Delta's and Epsilons are purposely bred to be "dumb" enjoy hard work to provide menial labor. This is done in our education system now, where our Alphas get the best of everything after graduating Harvard or Yale, while inner city youth and others are given poor education in many instances right from the start. Another element of the book that holds true, SOMA, a euphoric drug used to control the populace. The Alpha's use it for recreation only, the Delta's and Epsilons are controlled with it. The Parallel could be Marijuana and THC, or even anti depressants or other drugs. Essentially there are two classes in the modern society, The Alpha's and Beta's who get the nicest of everything, and the gamma's and epsilons that get the worst, with the "savages" on reservations living in general squaller. Like Soma, sex is used to placate people with no consequences, no children, no families.

"Brave New World" is a great dystopian novel, even though they do have flying cars, it does have many parallels to what is occurring today and what the WEF is trying to "create."
Read "Brave New World" in high school in the mid-'70s. Excellent book and a spine-chilling concept.

1701903595943.jpeg

" The greater part of the population is not very intelligent, dreads responsibility, and desires nothing better than to be told what to do. Provided the rulers do not interfere with its material comforts and its cherished beliefs, it is perfectly happy to let itself be ruled. "

~Aldous Huxley

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the 'Going Home' series, now 12 books. Similar to many listed here. EMP and other issues create chaos and survival dilemmas. Good read.

Latest posts

Top Bottom