Fire starting outdoor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if u like refernce material, check out the Extreme Survival Almanac its a big red bookand cost about 40 bucks but itll cover anything ull probably ever need

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mostly I use cotton balls with petroleum jelly and a flint/steel striker. I have soaked cotton balls in a potassium nitrate solution and then let them dry. That catches pretty easily with almost any kind of spark. I can do the bow drill fire starter, but its a lot of work. Blitzfike

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could help if you happen to have your 12 ga along...

www.jesseshunting.com_images_12_ga_dragons_breath_signal_round.jpg

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in high school and we used to have a get together I'd always be the one tasked with building the fire and keeping it going. i usually use dry grass and very small twigs. start small then build up to bigger sticks and whatnot.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides the plentiful amounts of prairie grasses around here, there's also the fluff from cat tails, which are typically found around water.

Another vote for cedar bark, though. We usually camp in state parks that do not allow you to collect wood so we bring our own firewood. We'll always bring a few cedar logs to scrape for kindling. It works well enough when the tree is live, but if it's a dead and dry cedar log, you can just snap your fingers and the stuff lights right up. Use a blade to scrape, not slice, down the tree or log. A palmful is all you need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom