Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a private level, if it was my neighbor, I might tap a plug (since I happen to have a 2" surplus line), but its unreasonable to expect professional risk on a free basis. We do enough of that crap with trauma care...

You "might" tap a plug?

Be sure to make him pay you before you do the right thing.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree the guy is an idiot, dirtbag, freeloader but for them to stand there when they had the means to do something about it is not right. Would a Doctor withold his expertise when walking by somone that has collapsed on the street? I see stories about off-duty cops involving themselves in situations all the time. Fine him, big time! But do something. What about the homeowner next door that now has to put up with the burned-out hulk next to him? Or more importantly, the idiots family? I don't agree, like some liberals, that this is an issue about conservative elitism. I highly doubt the guy couldn't afford the $75. Some idiots, AND THEIR FAMILIES, need protection from themselves or their family member who made the bad choice.

Oh, and states require that you have insurance on your car or you don't get a tag or you get fined, or both. What's wrong with requiring that these people pay or they get fined?

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they did not do is risk their safety, and their equipment to save property not under contract for service. Again, they had no obligation, legal, moral, or other, to do anything more than protect life and safety.

I agree they didn't have a legal obligation. If I am sitting with a fire truck and can stop someones house from burning down I would feel it to be ethically and morally right to do what I could. Someone that could drive up and watch someones house burn down over $75 I feel sorry for.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think they should have acted. I do think they should.

EDIT: I think I may be reacting a little more strongly than is appropriate. Carry on, guys.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes someone has to be made the example, this guy just so happened to be that example. If you dont' pay for the protection you don't get it. If you don't pay insurance, your not covered in a wreck, you don't pay your electric bill, you don't get electricty and so on and so on. Life isn't fair. I'm sure it sucks to be that guy but even if he had paid, he probably would still not have a place to live anyways.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did, however, come out when Cranick's neighbor -- who'd already paid the fee -- called 911 because he worried that the fire might spread to his property. Once they arrived, members of the South Fulton department stood by and watched Cranick's home burn; they sprang into action only when the fire reached the neighbor's property.

Maybe he should have charged them $75 each to watch - free market and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom