Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They responded to save life. They did their job. Where does the line get drawn? Should they run to the next county, because they dont have a fire department? What about two counties over?

This was a municipal department that offered a service to those outside of their service area at a very low cost. They had no responsibility to act, yet they still responded to safeguard life.

It amazes me that the majority of this board bitches and moans about welfare, food stamps, and Obama Care, but get all riled up when this happens. Its the exact same thing. Nothing is free, nor should it be. These folks have every right to form their own community volunteer fire department, yet many choose to utilize the services offered. Those who dont, expect a free lunch anyway.

These guys are 'firefighters' so they did NOT do their job.
I understand the bit about the $75. The douche bag got what he paid for. Had they not ben there at all it would have been better in my eyes.
What I'm really talking about is "what kind of people stand around and watch a guys house and all his earthly belongings burn to the ground a refuse to offer assistance"? This isn't a political stance, it's a humanitarian one. Everyday decent humans beings help each other in times of need and distress. This should have been one of those times.
Decent people doing the decent thing. It's really pretty simple.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were municipal firefighters. Their job is to protect the incorporated city and its taxpaying residents from fire. They offer a service to those outside their fire area, on a subscription basis.

The fact they responded to protect life, to be honest, is evidence they went above and beyond the call of duty.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They responded to save life. They did their job. Where does the line get drawn? Should they run to the next county, because they dont have a fire department? What about two counties over?

This was a municipal department that offered a service to those outside of their service area at a very low cost. They had no responsibility to act, yet they still responded to safeguard life.

It amazes me that the majority of this board bitches and moans about welfare, food stamps, and Obama Care, but get all riled up when this happens. Its the exact same thing. Nothing is free, nor should it be. These folks have every right to form their own community volunteer fire department, yet many choose to utilize the services offered. Those who dont, expect a free lunch anyway.

Except health care. It's supposed to be free and a God-given right.
/sarcasm off

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is that if he was too cheap to pay $6.25 a MONTH for fire protection, he probably wouldn't shell out the money for insurance, either.

No, he had paid for the previous years, but said that he "didn't get around to paying it" this year. He screwed up, but shouldn't have had to have his house burn down while so-called "firefighters" watched.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These guys are 'firefighters' so they did NOT do their job.
I understand the bit about the $75. The douche bag got what he paid for. Had they not ben there at all it would have been better in my eyes.
What I'm really talking about is "what kind of people stand around and watch a guys house and all his earthly belongings burn to the ground a refuse to offer assistance"? This isn't a political stance, it's a humanitarian one. Everyday decent humans beings help each other in times of need and distress. This should have been one of those times.
Decent people doing the decent thing. It's really pretty simple.

We see this exactly the same way. It's a damned shame that for Americans to do the right thing anymore has to involve money. Should I not pull someone from a burning, wrecked car because I might myself get burned, and they likely won't pay my deductible at the hospital? Christ on crutches. Doing what is right is the topic here - not freeloading, not about government handouts, etc. Just common human decency - which is lacking in this day and age.

Confucius say:

"To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice."

Directly applies to this.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cj, I understand what you are saying, and the idealist in me agrees. however, working around small, volunteer departments for quite some time, the realist comes out.

What happens when they do this, without the fee, and all the neighbors decide to stop paying? When the department ceases to exist due to lack of funding, what then? Who is served by no department whatsoever?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cj, I understand what you are saying, and the idealist in me agrees. however, working around small, volunteer departments for quite some time, the realist comes out.

What happens when they do this, without the fee, and all the neighbors decide to stop paying? When the department ceases to exist due to lack of funding, what then? Who is served by no department whatsoever?

It's simple - you bill the guy for services rendered, and at a rate much, much higher than the initial $75. He pays, or it goes to a collection agency, much like hospital bills do. I doubt the neighbors would quit paying, and to tell the truth - none of them would have known he didn't pay, had they not let his house burn down and he raised a big stink about it. Take care of it at the time of the emergency, bill him, and life goes on with everyone else paying like they should, and without knowing about his initial non-payment. And more than likely him too, next year.

I just can't fathom sitting and watching someone's house burn to the ground over a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom