Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just over 12 miles for the long run this morning. Joined up with some friends at mile 10, thus the faster pace.

I'm really encouraged by the overall pace of this run and how low my heart rate was (under my 80% training threshold except for a couple seconds). If I can sustain this pace for this long, with a relatively low heart rate, perhaps I can run the Memorial faster than I've been planning.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1024653371

I did miss two runs this week (totaling 10 miles) due to illness, but I'm hoping to make up at least 6 of that tomorrow on a usual rest day.

Matt in TN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
12 and 14.5 miles? Well done! And an 8:45 pace at a 144 bpm heartrate is amazing! Those stats are pretty neat to see -

I wear a heartrate monitor, but I just measure overall time, distance, and average heart rate. It has really helped me pace myself better since I started wearing it. I'd hate to think how much I'd overthink everything if I had all that Garmin data!

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
14.5 mile run this morning. Two loops from riverside through downtown and back. Pretty nice morning for a run.
If you don't mind me asking, what does your training schedule/millage look like for the Memorial?

12 and 14.5 miles? Well done! And an 8:45 pace at a 144 bpm heartrate is amazing! Those stats are pretty neat to see -

I wear a heartrate monitor, but I just measure overall time, distance, and average heart rate. It has really helped me pace myself better since I started wearing it. I'd hate to think how much I'd overthink everything if I had all that Garmin data!

I fully credit the heart rate monitor with helping make the quick progress since I first started running last year (June? July?).

I weekday runs I try doing at just below 80% max heart rate, regardless of what that pace is for that day. Without going into they physiology too much, this is pretty much the best level to build long-distance endurance according to various studies/articles I've read.

Long runs are another matter, I try running those at a good 30 seconds or so slower than my goal race pace (which is always well below my 80% level), but it can be hard to make myself run that much slower than I'm used to.

Most of the other stats I don't pay too much attention to all the time, but I have seen them move father into the "green" as my running has improved in various ways.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what does your training schedule/millage look like for the Memorial?

I dont mind at all. I'm loosely following a training schedule that I got from Fleet Feet for the 2011 Memorial marathon.

I dont follow the Monday - Friday schedule much. I just kind of make it up as I go depending upon what my crossfit workouts look like. I try to vary my Monday thru Friday runs with some of each: slow, fast, hills, dirt trails, flat, etc.

For the long runs on the weekend I will sometimes add a mile or two to the schedule. I like to have a couple of runs that are 23 or 24 miles. I also dont taper as much as most of the schedules call for. I have a mild taper starting 2 weeks before the marathon.

This is all just what what works for me and I will probably find something better at some point.

What schedule are you following? Looks like you are running really well.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont mind at all. I'm loosely following a training schedule that I got from Fleet Feet for the 2011 Memorial marathon.

I dont follow the Monday - Friday schedule much. I just kind of make it up as I go depending upon what my crossfit workouts look like. I try to vary my Monday thru Friday runs with some of each: slow, fast, hills, dirt trails, flat, etc.

For the long runs on the weekend I will sometimes add a mile or two to the schedule. I like to have a couple of runs that are 23 or 24 miles. I also dont taper as much as most of the schedules call for. I have a mild taper starting 2 weeks before the marathon.

This is all just what what works for me and I will probably find something better at some point.

What schedule are you following? Looks like you are running really well.

I'm following my own mix of the the Novice 2 plan from Hal Higdon ( http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program ), and the Intermediate plan from a local running group ( http://okcrunning.com/TrainingPlans ). My long runs are whatever are on the Landrunners schedule, but I'll probably run 22 miles instead of the second 20.

I typically run everything but long runs at/just under 80% max heart rate, though I'm trying to add in one day with some sprints up a couple small hills in my usual route. Everything but long runs I do in my neighborhood and the one it connects to.

Do you run with a group for long runs (or any others)? I prefer to for long runs, as having water support and varying scenery really helps.

I'm seriously considering coughing up a little cash this fall to run with a training group hosted by a local running store to get some actual coaching and structured workouts.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm following my own mix of the the Novice 2 plan from Hal Higdon ( http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program ), and the Intermediate plan from a local running group ( http://okcrunning.com/TrainingPlans ). My long runs are whatever are on the Landrunners schedule, but I'll probably run 22 miles instead of the second 20.

I typically run everything but long runs at/just under 80% max heart rate, though I'm trying to add in one day with some sprints up a couple small hills in my usual route. Everything but long runs I do in my neighborhood and the one it connects to.

Do you run with a group for long runs (or any others)? I prefer to for long runs, as having water support and varying scenery really helps.

I'm seriously considering coughing up a little cash this fall to run with a training group hosted by a local running store to get some actual coaching and structured workouts.

I should probably start using a HR monitor - it would probably help me out.

I like running with a group of friends as much as possible even if it means I have to run at a slower pace or slightly faster than I want. Yesterday me and 1 other guy ran 8 miles and then met up with 3 others for the final 6ish. Still have to carry water etc.

I have forked out the money and joined the Fleet Feet training program in the past. I really liked the group aspect of the training and I made some good friends from those groups. Running with the group helps the time fly by. The supported water/drink stops are good and bad. Its good because you dont have to carry your own water, but its bad because it takes a while at every water stop for the whole group to stop and get a drink. I will probably join again someday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom