Flocks breaking up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See, I've been saying for awhile that the season is too late - makes me insane that they don't open it up in mid- to late-March. It's almost all over but the shoutin on April 6th, and this year I cannot hunt until Friday the 8th. :mad:

Not necessarily so.
During the peak of the breeding season for turkey(and deer), the hens/does are sequestered by the toms, etc.
Calling them away from the toms is pretty hard, but not impossible.

Big flocks are tougher if there are lots of hens, as the toms will have lots of choices.

Never, the less, when the hens are done, and laying on the nest, the toms are still ready to breed, and this is when the hunter has their best opportunity to take a good tom. They are cruising, looking for love.

I won't say that I won't be out opening day, but have always had better luck, later in the season.

Kind of the same way with Deer. If an area has a good buck to doe ratio, the bucks will cruise all over the place looking for does, giving the hunter an opportunity to take a good buck. If one hunts in my area with a poor buck to doe ratio, good bucks are hard to come by even though they are there.

Reaction score
I talked with Jack Waymire, manager of the Push Co WMA and he said his research indicates that the bulk of the breeding is going on prior to the 18th. By the 18th the bulk of the breeding is over but the toms are still hot and the best hunting is the balance of the season. I have seen strutting activity as early as February in middle Push Co. We need to rebuild the resource in SE Okla and that is why Jack's research is so important. The season was reset to protect the breeding then after the breeding is over the toms are expendable

Oh I see - thanks guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom