Florida Police Officer Surprises Shoplifter ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do understand your point. My biggest problem with the don't have them unless you can feed them comment is this: I was the AGM for a major hotel here in OKC back in the 80s. Between my husband and I we grossed $125K, had a company car and benefits out the arse, not the least of which was the ability to travel to anywhere we wanted for little to no airfare, and no housing/food costs ... The accountant for the hotel used to call me regularly to ***** at me for not cashing my paycheck in a timely manner. Within 90 days of the birth of my second child, I went from THAT lifestyle to being: unemployed (owner sold the hotel, new owner brought in new management), pregnant with 2 kids, neither of which were school age yet, and married (husband left when the doctors thought I had ovarian cancer because of a mass they found during my first pre-natal exam with my 3rd pregnancy) but unable to file for divorce, with no money (husband emptied out the bank accounts and maxed out all the credit cards when he left -- I wound up filing for bankruptcy), no place to stay (my psycho parents took me back in to, and I quote, "Fix it so they could save the children from me ..."), no car, no job, no prospects for a job (ever try to look for work while you are pregnant?), and not eligible for aid because I had to prove I was destitute (hard to do with bank accounts that show major withdrawals a couple of weeks before you start applying for aid. I sold my soul to make sure my kids had a roof over their heads and food in their mouths. I did things I never thought I'd do, always swore I'd never do and that are, both morally and legally wrong, no matter how you slice it. And if I ever find myself in that position with little ones to care for again, I'd do all those things again. In a heartbeat. As far as those kids being well fed if they become wards of the state, if you believe that taking a child from a loving home and putting it in the care of strangers who may or may not take sufficient care of that child, then I truly don't know what to say to you ... So back to the point of this thread ... I completely understand the motivation behind some of these thefts. Does it make it right? No, of course not. But again ... we are not talking about the thefts ... WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GRACE THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO SHOW THEIR FELLOW MAN I pray you never find yourself looking in that mirror ...

Me too but if I am I won't be stealing to do it as long as civilized society is still intact. Can anyone point to me where I've said people who need help can get bent and shouldn't be helped? I've only made a point of saying that stealing should not be acceptable under any circumstance. There are plenty of posts in here saying it is. That's my point. Geez...

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody said that stealing is acceptable, just that in some circumstances we understand the motivation. If my kids were hungry and I knew of no other options I would take what my kids needed.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too but if I am I won't be stealing to do it as long as civilized society is still intact. Can anyone point to me where I've said people who need help can get bent and shouldn't be helped? I've only made a point of saying that stealing should not be acceptable under any circumstance. There are plenty of posts in here saying it is. That's my point. Geez...

Good Lord, so now as long as it's WWROL it's okay to steal?? :rolleyes2

And don't "Geez" me ... I believe I've said at least TWICE now in this thread that it is not about stealing being acceptable.

ETA: And don't quote me until I've had time to get my paragraphs in place ... ;) :D

ETAA: I went back and looked. There is not a single, solitary post in this thread saying it is okay to steal ... I see plenty of posts where folks are saying they have been in that position, or that they understand how someone could feel that is their only option.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to be OK if they are stealing from Wal Mart. What if they stole that trailer you have in your drive way or those new 22" wheels and tires you just put on your truck to feed their kids? There is so much Government hand outs that no one should be stealing anything to feed kids.

Hey?...How did You know about those 22"s i just bought.

Sounds like they were from a "different" region ,
Might not have known about the Other contacts for food...etc

Any day I get to reach down to help someone , is Truly a Good Day

and...Dont look down on people , unless youve had to reach up to get to the bottom

WELL DONE

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Lord, so now as long as it's WWROL it's okay to steal?? :rolleyes2 And don't "Geez" me ... I believe I've said at least TWICE now in this thread that it is not about stealing being acceptable. ETA: And don't quote me until I've had time to get my paragraphs in place ... ;) :D ETAA: I went back and looked. There is not a single, solitary post in this thread saying it is okay to steal ... I see plenty of posts where folks are saying they have been in that position, or that they understand how someone could feel that is their only option.

And I believe I've implied plenty that it is about stealing and my posts are not about not helping the needy. You see it as a story about one thing and I see it as a story about another. It's my opinion and philosophy just as yours is yours.

Ok, let me rephrase, there are no explicit posts but the implication is certainly there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it everyone. It's for the children. The mob has spoken.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I believe I've implied plenty that it is about stealing and my posts are not about not helping the needy. You see it as a story about one thing and I see it as a story about another. It's my opinion and philosophy just as yours is yours.

Ok, let me rephrase, there are no explicit posts but the implication is certainly there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it everyone. It's for the children. The mob has spoken.

Ahhh ... ok ... I see your point ... (about the posts and implication) ... Damned lawyers ... taught me to read to literally ... Well, except for when it does my case NO good! :D

All that said, I'm pretty sure my stance on what needs to happen to criminals is well documented here. However, I do also believe that you should temper that with the reality of any given situation. Like the cop in the first story said, throwing those kids' mom in jail would have done nothing but make a bad situation worse. I would like to think that I would have done the same thing.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh ... ok ... I see your point ... (about the posts and implication) ... Damned lawyers ... taught me to read to literally ... Well, except for when it does my case NO good! :D All that said, I'm pretty sure my stance on what needs to happen to criminals is well documented here. However, I do also believe that you should temper that with the reality of any given situation. Like the cop in the first story said, throwing those kids' mom in jail would have done nothing but make a bad situation worse. I would like to think that I would have done the same thing.

Ok.

Good talk, Russ.

image-4209984153.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom