Flyfishing the Lower Illinois

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the little brother picked me up from the airport Friday evening and off to Mar-Val, Saturday morning got up and around fished the heck out of the water their in the campgrounds with nothing to show but a shorter leader from all the fly changes, took a little roadtrip to a place I've not been to on the river in probably 15 years and well our luck changed! between the 2 of us I would say we caught and released at least 30 fish it was great! Thinking they would generate we went into town got something to eat and they didn't generate :confused: dang-it we could have caught more but a trip to the Smokehouse in Cookson was in our plans all I have to say is I WILL be going back it was great.

Sunday morning got up and back to our spot, 2 cast and my line was tight! turned out to not be such a great day for the little brother as he was having a hard time hooking up with the fish but hey it's his second trip with a flyrod for trout but he's getting it. I found my tan beadhead jigs I tie I had the best luck with followed by a zebra midge all in the #18-#20 size using NO strike indicator just bounce those little suckers across the rocks. The little brother tried some dry flies and well they would swirl the fly but never took it I guess time to find some smaller drys thinking BWO? I need to figure out the drys as I suck at fishing them! don't know what it is I just have problems with them mainly mending the line.

All in all it was a great trip, got to spend time with the LB on a trout stream, caught more fish than the powerbait guys were :yelclap: I'm ready to do it again! Later,

Kirk

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We fished up river from Marvals Sunday morning. But we did not have much luck. But we were using ultra light equipment not flyfishing.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doc, from the campground down to where the river narrows would be a good place to bowhunt :-) that place UP RIVER wink wink where we caught the trout walking in saw 2 does and not an hour later had 6 or 7 come thru. Check your pm.

Yes it was a good trip might make a day trip when I'm at my folks later this week before I head back to Louisiana for the next month, when I get back it should be cool enough to get most of the anglers off the river except for us stupid guys that like the cold and catching trout on river with very few people. If your down that way look for the guy that doesn't were a fly vest just a lanyard around his neck and a gray Kelty fannypack, if you see him say hi. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fisherman not a guide :-P we were up by the dam. Caught a few NICE trout down at the gravel pits but not many one was pushing 18" but it was dang hard to get them to take anything. I wish I had a clue how to catch carp as I would have a ball! the place was loaded with them!

If anyone that knows how to catch carp on a flyrod would be so kinda as to pass on some advice that would be great! if you wanted to take me and show me that would be AWESOME I might even buy dinner, bring beer :-) Later,

Kirk

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fisherman not a guide :-P we were up by the dam. Caught a few NICE trout down at the gravel pits but not many one was pushing 18" but it was dang hard to get them to take anything. I wish I had a clue how to catch carp as I would have a ball! the place was loaded with them!

If anyone that knows how to catch carp on a flyrod would be so kinda as to pass on some advice that would be great! if you wanted to take me and show me that would be AWESOME I might even buy dinner, bring beer :-) Later,

Kirk

Kirk, I've caught several big carp down there on small peach colored glow balls. We used to catch them up in Colorado on flies tied to imitate mulberrys. If you find them in the slow moving water you can usually get them to take small bead head nyphs as well. The key is getting the fly right in front of their nose. They really won't chase it, but if you float in right in front of their face they will usually take it.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a few people catch some of those carp, buffalo, whatever they are fly fishing. My friend Jason caught an 8 lb something ounce on a spinning rod fishing for trout earlier this summer. It was funny trying to net that thing, I had to net it head first. It was to front heavy and would come out of the net trying to net it tail first. Glad you got some fish. It's been quite awhile since I've been down fly fishing for trout.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So catching carp is about the same as catching redfish it sounds like, find them in the shallows and bouce a fly off thier nose. I had an idea last night about a fly like a clouser so the hook would be up but more of a bugger style? might work who knows but I need some bigger hooks for sure. I've got my 6wt and the 3wt is trout only might be too much on the 6wt as I left my 8wt in Louisiana I'm going to give it a try and just see what happens either way it should be fun. Thanks fella's! Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom