Food Plot for Turkey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about plant spring food plot at our new lease between Guthrie and Perry just west of I35 for turkey very soon but don't know when to plant? And I have heard that mix Chicory and Clover or Chufa are the top to attract turkeys? And the problem, if I plant sometime very soon will it scare the birds away before the hunting season start? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Kirt

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most food plots planted in the spring will be in April or May. If you arent busting turkeys off roost or chasing hens off nests you shouldnt be scaring the turkeys away. Chufa is an excellent choice for turkey IF you have the capability to disc it in the fall to expose the tubers. Milo or corn would be a good choice if you have some kind of brush hog to knock it down after maturity to spread the seed on the ground. Turkey in the spring and summer will be primarily chasing bugs. But if you have some hay to spread or locations where farmers feed hay the turkeys will be hitting those areas eating up grain.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most food plots for spring turkey should be planted in the fall like Chufa, and the ground disked up to expose the tubers like Oklahoma bassin said.
If you want to put one in now, the best thing to do is have a prescribed burn in a small grassy area, and drill in some wheat. It will germinate, and get about 4" high by turkey season. With the burned area, and wheat coming up, the turkey will hit it for the bugs.
Actually just disking or mowing a grassy area near a roosting area will attract spring turkey. Its all about making it easier for them to find their natural food.
I'm thinking that area your talking about is currently in the burn ban for the state, so make sure your legal doing a controlled burn if your going that direction.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I am not plant anything this spring, I would just wait and plant this fall.. I figured out that it will die out during the summer so I may mow some areas and that would help native grasses green up sooner to attract turkeys?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mowing will do just fine. I don't know what it is about the burnt areas, but it sure attracts them when the little green sprouts start growing. The Corps of Engineers do controlled burns at kaw lake this time of year. Great place to ambush some turkey.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom