Ford dealership - Mechanics question (Tulsa Location)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a ford 8.8 rearend if somebody swapped the rear gears and didnt set the backlash right the rearend will whine. Also bearings going out will do that too.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a ford 8.8 rearend if somebody swapped the rear gears and didnt set the backlash right the rearend will whine. Also bearings going out will do that too.

+1

How many miles are on the truck? What all is done to the truck? I'm assuming it isn't all factory if you're having a tuner pull readouts. . .Did you check the old oil from the diff for metal shavings? My TBSS (rwd model, not awd) developed a slight whine from the rear differential when I damaged a tooth on the pinion gear. That was the result of a 3200rpm stall converter and a LS2 stroked out to 6.6L (590whp on pump gas) though, so I would kind of lean towards it being a bearing going out unless you're harder on a diff than that :rotflmao:

Don't go to Bob Hurley if you do decide to take it to a stealership. They stole my Optima battery (I think it was one of the techs, because the battery they swapped in for my red top wasn't one they even sold) and I didn't check under the hood for all of 3 days (. . .it was just at the DEALERSHIP being serviced. . .), at which point they pretty much told me I was SOL and that it wasn't their problem. Keep in mind this is how they treated me less than a month after I'd spent almost $16k on parts and service.

RetiredNavy

Marksman
Reaction score
My son has a truck and developed a whine, that sounded like it was coming from the rear-end. It turned out to be his U-joints on the drive shaft. We replaced them, at home, and no more whine

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son has a truck and developed a whine, that sounded like it was coming from the rear-end. It turned out to be his U-joints on the drive shaft. We replaced them, at home, and no more whine

How did you determine that is was U-Joints? Did you check the play in the axle up/down, side to side?

Specs on Truck:

2005 F150 5.4, 17inch rims with 295/70/17 grapplers, rear air bag stabilizer, front level with Bilstein shocks and rear Bilstein shocks. Rear end is all stock.
Mileage: 92k

I stopped by Samsoffroad.com over on S.W. Blvd and they test drove it and said it was either the bearings or gears and gave me a price of $1350 for total replacement on everything and warranty for 12 months. If I wanted to skip the gears it would be -$249 off the $1350 (inlcudes tax/labor/parts) but he highly suggested doing the gears since it will be torn down anyways.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3oItDhr_E&t=5m

GEORGE: Yes, I’d like to report a problem with one of your mechanics.

WILLIE: When did you bring the car in?

GEORGE: (To the man behind him in line) Yeah, right… I’m gonna get my car repaired at a dealership. Huh! Why don’t I just flush my money down the toilet?

WILLIE: Sir, what, exactly, is the problem?

GEORGE: One of your guys - Kip, or Ned, short name - stole my Twix candy bar!

WILLIE: Are you saying he grabbed your candy bar away from you?

GEORGE: He might as well have! I caught him, and his face was covered in chocolate and cookie crumbs.

WILLIE: I thought you said it was a Twix.

GEORGE: Oh, it was. But he claimed it was a 5th Avenue bar.

WILLIE: Maybe it was.

GEORGE: Oh, no, no. Twix is the only candy with the cookie crunch.

WILLIE: What about the Hundred-Thousand-Dollar bar?

GEORGE: No. Rice and caramel.

WILLIE: Nougat?

GEORGE: No.

WILLIE: Positive?

GEORGE: Please.

(A woman appears from behind the window)

WOMAN: You know they changed the name from Hundred-Thousand-Dollar bar to Hundred-Grand?

GEORGE: All I want is my seventy-five cents back, an apology, and for him to be fired!

(An old man sitting in a nearby chair speaks up. He’s Willie’s father)

WILLIE SR: I remember when you used to be able to get a Hershey for a nickel.

(The man behind George speaks up)

MAN: What’s the one with the swirling chocolate in the commercial?

GEORGE: They all have swirling chocolate in the commercial!

WILLIE SR: Not Skittles.

WILLIE: Dad, I told you you could sit here only if you don’t talk.

WOMAN: (Sitting behind George) You make your father sit here all day?

WILLIE: He likes it!

GEORGE: All right, do you mind? I have the window! (To Willie) Now, what are you gonna do about my Twix?

MAN: (In line behind George) Twix has too much coconut.

GEORGE: No! There’s no coconut!

WOMAN: (Behind service window) I’m allergic to coconut.

WILLIE: I’m not.

WILLIE SR: …A nickel!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did you determine that is was U-Joints? Did you check the play in the axle up/down, side to side?

Specs on Truck:

2005 F150 5.4, 17inch rims with 295/70/17 grapplers, rear air bag stabilizer, front level with Bilstein shocks and rear Bilstein shocks. Rear end is all stock.
Mileage: 92k

I stopped by Samsoffroad.com over on S.W. Blvd and they test drove it and said it was either the bearings or gears and gave me a price of $1350 for total replacement on everything and warranty for 12 months. If I wanted to skip the gears it would be -$249 off the $1350 (inlcudes tax/labor/parts) but he highly suggested doing the gears since it will be torn down anyways.

Sam's off road has rather high rates from what I have seen (based on my own quotes, not just what you mentioned).

I just had to have front axle work done on my Jeep and used the independent shop I mentioned earlier in this thread. They did an axle half shaft and sub shaft, which included tearing apart the differential. It was approx. $700 for parts in labor. This beats Sam's price by 300 bucks assuming the parts cost and labor times are similar (and they probably aren't too different).

I also had the same shop put a front leveling kit (purchased online) on for me. It was 2 hours shop labor (so, $120 bucks or so), which is about half of what Sam's quoted me for the install. I could have done it myself, and was ready to, but with a wife and two kids sometimes it's worth it to save my own time and have a pro do it.

I am unsure why they would tell you to replace the gears just because they have it opened up. If the car hasn't been driven into the dirt, the gears should be fine at 92k miles. I would think they'd be better to give a recommendation after they had it open, not to suggest replacement from the start because they had it "torn down anyways" because they were looking at bearings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom