Form 1 Returned Back For Corrections.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My SBR Paperwork has been delayed a little. Here are the comments:

1. Multiple calibers not accepted; additional configurations must be listed on a separate letter stating caliber, barrel length and overall length as related o the above mentioned firearm. (On section "h Additional Description" The FFL that I bought the lower from put down "Will also shoot 9mm, .223, .22LR, .45 ACP)

2. Law enforcement certification is invalid/incomplete. See highlighted sections.
(On Section 13 Law Enforcement Certification. they highlighted "Name of Maker" and put a sticky note that said "Your name here". The Sheriffs Office put the Sheriff's name.)

I am really confused on the multi-caliber letter. I thought I was getting good information when I filled these out. Can anyone offer any help? I will also call the ATF and see what all I need to do.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that they want a specific caliber or they will reject it. I just had mine returned because my Trust starts with the ( The John Public Trust) and I just put John Public Trust. I called and about it just to clarify about it and what I need to engrave on lower, he said engrave nothing until it is approved and then it will have to have the word The engraved with Trust name. seems everyone I talk to gives me a different answer. If I wait to have engraved then how can I send out to have engraved?????

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Box 4H is not for listing extra calibers. You don't even need to tell them extra calibers. As long as the change isn't permenant they don't really care. You cannot list multi in the caliber and length portion. Pick the one you intend to build and put it in. If you have other uppers you can use them without a problem.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As DG stated above, your Form 1 should list the ONE caliber & barrel/overall length you intend to build the gun in.

As for the engraving that Powerman was talking about, you need to engrave the EXACT name of your trust as it appears on your Form 1. I disagree with waiting to engrave until after the Form 1 is approved, because if the engraver messes up your receiver to the point that you no longer wish to use it (or it gets lost in shipping), then you will have to request a refund of your $200 tax and start all over again with another serial numbered lower. All of that takes time/money. If you do wish to send it out after approval, there is no issue with mailing it out. It is just a receiver when it does not have a barrel attached and would be treated like any other non-NFA receiver at that point.

Here are some FAQ's from the ATF website that every SBR/SBS owner should be familiar with: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a special trust, "DWK Trust", without a "The", just for that reason. Looks nice that way, better than engraving "The John Q. and Buffy J. Papastathopoulos Revocable Living Trust" :D

Maybe on the next one I'll submit the "In God we Trust"

I think the reasoning behind having one barrel length and caliber is that a short barreled rifle requires a barrel shorter than 16". There is really no such thing as a short barreled rifle receiver; w/o a barrel it is simply not a SBR. When you make a SBR you can even engrave the maker info on the barrel, not the receiver.

So, if somebody was allowed to give ATF 10 different barrel lengths and calibers, they might try to interpret that as being able to build 10 different rifles on one stamp. We wouldn't want the government getting cheated out of their $1800, would we?

Keep it simple, one length, one caliber, simple trust name, and get it approved the first time :contract:

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talked with the examiner today. She was out sick Wednesday & Thursday. She said that on line H Additional Description, that they don't want to see anything here. Not even "N/A". The only exception is if you wanted to put down what you are having engraved.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I talked with the examiner today. She was out sick Wednesday & Thursday. She said that on line H Additional Description, that they don't want to see anything here. Not even "N/A". The only exception is if you wanted to put down what you are having engraved.

Was it Haley?

Latest posts

Top Bottom