Front door was kicked in yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I get an email that our front door alarm was triggered. A few seconds later, a phone call to verify it wasn't us and notifying us that dispatchers have police on their way. Police arrive within a few minutes, but it was too late. With the alarm going off, they probably were afraid to spend too much time browsing like they were at a yard sale, so they only got away with 3 easily grabbed items: 2 laptops and my wife's Kindle Fire HD. No cash (maybe because there is none), no jewelry (maybe because what we own is already on our fingers), no guns (secured), and no other damage besides a busted door jam, which has since been repaired completely and reinforced stronger than before.

We live in a pretty low-crime area and an especially low-crime neighborhood. Our house is extremely visible, too, which puts the odds greatly in our favor. However, this obviously only influences the odds, not guarantees them. Mainly because of the high visibility, we assumed we were just a bit safer than other houses in the neighborhood.

What's scary to us, especially me, is that I'm usually home during the time this happened, sleeping within arms reach of a nasty little boomstick. I've always prepared myself to defend my life and my property, but dodging a bullet like this makes me really think about things. Had this happened any other day, at least one person would have been hurt, if not killed, in my house. Him or me? I can't guarantee, but I feel like I would have had the upper hand.

Double check your doors, your windows, set your alarms, watch for suspicious activity, talk to your neighbors, and take any other steps to stay prepared and vigilant. Believe me, when it comes to home burglaries, nobody held the attitude of "This could never happen to us!" like we did. So, if it could happen to us, it can happen to you. Our house is structurally back to the way it was before, you can't tell anything happened, but the feeling inside what was once a safe, secure home, is forever changed. Hopefully not forever, but for the time being, it feels much more like just a house than a home right now. We're OK for the most part, just a little shaken up. Maybe we're still in shock at this point, as it hasn't even been 24 hours. Perhaps time will heal all wounds here.

Here's to Edmond PD for their very quick response and to our alarm company for their fast action: :drink:

And here's to worthless, scumbag thieves who feel they have a right to violate hardworking, decent people: :finger:

Good morning and good luck to all of you out there.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I've never been robbed like that, but everyone I know who has expressed the same feelings of never being secure again. Glad you and yours didn't get hurt.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks man. I have been broken into & robbed before, it can effect you after weather you are there at the time or not. It's a direct invasion of your privacy & personal security. Heck my experience is exactly why I cling to my ability to own firearms as tightly as I do. I don't ever wanna be in my own house with my family & it be against the law for me to defend them with whatever means I might need. Instances like this should serve as examples as to why this right is so important. You never know where or when crime will strike, it isn't contained to certain neighborhood, certain races, certain towns.

Glad they only got a minimal amount of stuff & police were able to respond quickly.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there and it SUCKS, regardless of the weather. Glad none of you were home or worse, injured. As bad as the thought of someone dying in your home is, thieves deserve to be rehabilitated with a lead injection. Bad behavior is a result of low lead levels and an injection of 150 -250 grains of lead at a velocity of 750 fps or greater has shown great success in curing their problem. The thought of taking a human life is not something I avoid and abhor. Luckily, thieves are not human and, like a rabid dog; we need to do all that is possible to cure them.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are ok, glad you were not home at the time and I'm glad your loses were minimal!

Like you said...Everyone needs to know....times are tough, this could happen to anyone at anytime. No one is beyond this.

The neighborhood I grew up in was a "good neighborhood" but I came home from school one day to a kicked in door.

We live in a "good neighborhood" now but we've had someone walk into our house when they thought no one was home. My wife happened to be home sick that day. Luckily they were spooked and ran off when my wife yelled down my name because she thought it was me coming home. Unnerving to say the least.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you all were safe.

We had our home broken into over 35 years ago, and 10K worth of guns stolen. That was before most people even knew what a gun safe was.

Unfortunately, it takes awhile to get over something like that. I hope you soon recover, emotionally.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, that really sucks but I'm glad it wasn't worse than it could have been.
Sounds like you're doing about everything you can do except maybe surveillance camera footage would have helped catch the dirtbag thieves later.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We're not too concerned with this happening while being home, though we definitely understand anything is possible, but we are worried about leaving this house unattended now. They let our dog out which is an indoor dog, so no collar or tag. Luckily, she ran straight to a guy up the road working in his garage and bothered him until my wife pulled up and got her. I don't know what's more offensive to my family, breaking into our home or setting our beloved family pet free.

except maybe surveillance camera footage

Yep, which we considered even just a couple of weeks ago, but now will be coming very soon. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom