Front door was kicked in yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been planning on installing some cameras. The Q-see line looks pretty good, internet and phone alerts/emails and accessibility is a +. Home depot carries them and I can get you a 10% discount if you decide to go that route. Just let me know.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been planning on installing some cameras. The Q-see line looks pretty good, internet and phone alerts/emails and accessibility is a +. Home depot carries them and I can get you a 10% discount if you decide to go that route. Just let me know.

Doing research at the moment, but will let you know, thanks!

Hard to look these things up without computers. :scream:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sucks when stuff like this happens. Had my rv broken into a couple years ago when helping a friend out. Had it parked inside a large building and was keeping an eye on things. Had went home for a couple days as this was in another town and came back to it being ransacked. Must have been kids cause they took a PlayStation and a monitor and not much else. Left the fridge open and ruined everything in it which is what irritated me the most.

As far as the camera systems if you want to DIY it I would recommend www.ispyconnect.com it will be a bit more expensive than an off the shelf system but you can use IPcameras and those can get power through the Ethernet cable which is readily available and pretty cheap. It works with the Pan Tilt Zoom camera's as well and there are tons of different camera's it can interface with.

You can do the install very easily yourself if you have good access to your attic and I have no problem teaching how to crimp the Ethernet cables if you let me know and I am sure others out there can help with that as well. You will need a good multi core computer and the more hard drive space available the more you can record. You can source the camera's online and get a better price than doing it locally I go through Newegg for a ton of stuff and you could probably order everything for a system through there easily.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this doesnt help now but with so many laptops, notebooks, and cellphones being sold stolen these days these lil turds are only gonna get more vigilant and only steal the stuff they can hurry and grab and run with. Maybe this kind of stuff should be put away out of sight during the day when no one is home. Your incident is proof to me that even with a security system (I have one) these fckheads are still getting in long enough to grab stuff. (And like I said earlier I think you got cased because you said youre usually home when they hit you).

I travel alot so my laptops are always on the go, when home I keep them and all of their paraphernalia in laptop carrying cases put away out of sight when Im not using them. I have a couple of PCs I keep upgraded for computer use when home to do my stuff on. If need anything off my laptop I just transfer it to the PC. The kid takes his notebook with him everywhere he goes as does the wife who uses her laptop at her office then brings it home and sits in her bed doing stuff for her work or whatever.

Its sad to say but with smash&grab burgling most probably on the rise just putting guns and valuables in the safes aint enough. May just be several hundred to buy another laptop, but what about someone with valuable info on theirs that they may not have backed up. Thieves suck...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just found something else I was looking for which may be helpful for future problems.

http://preyproject.com/

Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing -- easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.

It may be nice should something decide to grow legs and walk away.

Using something like "box" or "dropbox" for the most important files is another option as well. The files are accessible on multiple computers and they automatically backup. Should someone gain access to a computer you can change a password on the account and revoke access to any lost devices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom