Front door was kicked in yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest one of those door reinforcement kits too. They are cheap enough that everyone should have one installed on every exterior door.

While it's true that nothing can stop someone who really wants to get in, if a thief can't get in quickly, he's more likely to give up and move on to the next easy score.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest one of those door reinforcement kits too. They are cheap enough that everyone should have one installed on every exterior door.

While it's true that nothing can stop someone who really wants to get in, if a thief can't get in quickly, he's more likely to give up and move on to the next easy score.

Done. ;)

We had 4 inch screws for our striker plates, but one of those broke off and the other tore out part of the 2x4 of the house frame itself. This was done again after repairs with even better screws. When buying materials to repair our door jam, I saw these adjustable door jammers that wedge underneath the doorknob and the ground at an angle, using pressure to keep the door from opening. I'm curious how well they work, though, especially against someone kicking in a door. $20 a pop.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We want to be respectful of your privacy, Danny, but could you give us the general location of this in Edmond? I know that the low-income housing complex near Coffee Creek and Thomas have been the source of similar incidents over the last few years. But those have tended to be somewhat isolated to that corner of town. Can you give us a feel as to the general area of this break in?

And, of course, we're all very sorry that you're going through this. Glad you got your pooch back.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
South central Edmond. The lowest income dwellings nearby would probably be the prefab homes across from [Summit?] middle school on 150th, or maybe the apartments south east of 33rd and Broadway which are located equally on the opposite side of us, both a couple miles away. Even the prefab homes aren't what I'd consider low-income, though. It's a nice little neighborhood of probably $120k~ homes.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you would have been home someone was definitely getting one in the hip... glad everyone is ok. Stuff can always be replaced. The feeling of someone been in your home without you though isnt a good one. Might consider having been cased by neighborhood people. Everyone is a suspect at this point. Maybe the next time they come back it wont work out so good for them.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Done. ;)

We had 4 inch screws for our striker plates, but one of those broke off and the other tore out part of the 2x4 of the house frame itself. This was done again after repairs with even better screws. When buying materials to repair our door jam, I saw these adjustable door jammers that wedge underneath the doorknob and the ground at an angle, using pressure to keep the door from opening. I'm curious how well they work, though, especially against someone kicking in a door. $20 a pop.

Had to give the pastor's wife a ride home one day when her car broke down close to my house. She forgot the garage door opener which is how she usually gets in the house so we had to go through the front door. It had one of those bars on it and it was a pain in the butt to get through. She had a tile entryway, and if that thing had just a bit more grip I don't think I could have gotten it open. I had to push really hard to get it open enough to get my arm in down low and slowly push the base back on the tile. Of course I was trying not to break anything, but I don't think I could have opened the door by standing up and using brute force.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my alarm was installed the keypad doubled as the siren, couldnt hear it outside, or through a large part of the house unless I had the keypad and chimes turned up. Fixed by having them install an exterior siren. I figure they would take a few more minutes searching if they knew they had till owner was called, and PD was called and dispatched, which could be as little as 3 minutes before I get the call, or more around the holidays. Since alarms take the lowest priority, could be long gone with a lot of loot before PD was even en route.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
glad you guys are ok. we had a rash of issues when some new apartments opened up near us. as soon as the house is paid for,a couple of years,we are moving north. the ghetto is just a few miles south of us and even closer to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom