1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Game/Trail Cameras help...

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Parks 788, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Parks 788

Parks 788 Sharpshooter

I know there is a search function but I have some pretty specific parameters i need to keep in mind when purchasing trail cams for my father in law. So, looking to the local experts for some guidance.

We want to get my Father in Law several game cams to put out on the new property so he can get a better idea of were the game are moving. I know this is not the best time to start figuring this out as the season is mostly over but want to get him some and out in use so he has time to learn the cameras and how they interface with his computer and cell phone, dependent on the model we get.

Here's the deal, at 70 years old he just got an IPhone and an email set up as well as just learned to text on said phone. What 'I'm looking for is a quality camera that is easy to use. Don't think he needs a wireless unit but do want something where he can easily pull the SD card and check the pictures. He has limited ability to use their IMac computer and assume it has an SD slot and we can show him how it works at Christmas. WOuld prefer something with a quick pic speed, good battery life, and easy to use. Also something i can get from BPS or Cabelas for ease of return or exchange. What would you recommend? Thanks.

2. PiedmontGuy

PiedmontGuy Marksman

Find a camera that also has a time lapse feature. For a big meadow, sometimes you can set up the time lapse for a week and determine the entry and exit points for the whole field. Movement and Heat sensors don't pickup that movement across on the other side of that larger opening or meadow. Then move the camera closer to those entry/exit points.

Parks 788 and MacFromOK like this.
  3. Coach_1

Coach_1 Sharpshooter

Stealthcams are about the easiest to use. Mine have 3 preset modes and a custom mode. You just turn the dial to whatever pre set mode you want or turn it to custom.

Parks 788 likes this.
  4. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Second on the stealthcams. I have 4, and have changed batteries once since starting with new ones in September.
    I prefer the No Glow models.
    This one will serve you well with as the Coach said, three preset programs that make it as easy to set us as moving a switch. It gets no easier than that.
    Programming to set up the time, day, date, is also very easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-...17774&sr=8-6&keywords=stealth+cam+game+camera

5. Pokinfun

Pokinfun The Most Interesting Man in the World

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I only use Bushnell HD Trophy Cams.

6. okieshooter777

okieshooter777 Sharpshooter

My grandfather is 86... He loves running his cameras. He loves the "easy to set" cameras. We have several of these
    https://jet.com/product/detail/d61a...MIouO_t4D41wIVT5F-Ch1jyQDDEAQYASABEgJt9_D_BwE

Seem to work well, and takes great pictures. Not a lot of settings which makes it easy to use. Does take great video or picture.

We also have good luck with the wildgame cloak blackout cameras. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...MI853P5ID41wIV0V5-Ch2PSAuvEAQYBCABEgJjaPD_BwE

He is big on good battery life, and both of these cameras give great battery life!

as far as checking the SD card, these are a must have if you use an IPHONE
    https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Cam...2653397&sr=8-7&keywords=sd+card+reader+iphone

Parks 788 likes this.
  7. okhunter

okhunter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Anyone still looking for cameras I've seen some good buys lately. I picked up 2 stealth cam px18 cameras at tractor supply for $45 each.