Gay marriage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will die before I surrender to you. You have not answered my question, which I raised first. If not from a moral law from a "God", how can there be good and evil? Bears share food, but go pet one.

That's absurd, there are an almost unlimited number of examples of man gaining the trust of and befriending dangerous animals in nature(lions and tigers and bears...oh my). Right and wrong is about ethics whereas good and evil is more about religion, so trying to corner someone into a debate solely about good and evil(rather than the ethics of mankind) would be disingenuous. Man can do wrong(killing innocent children for example) and while some may consider it evil, most can agree it is wrong( though not all will agree that it is evil). I know it is semantics, but it is a very important distinction.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But what makes it wrong to kill children? Because a majority of people agree that it is?

Because children are not capable, physically or mentally, to defend themselves. They are also our offspring which is important if a species want to exist on this earth. If we all killed each others children, we would be an evolutionary dead end (we would go extinct). This means, we evolved a sense that killing children is a terrible idea.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people have a sense of good and bad. I never disputed that. I know some real nice atheist friends that would fight for me in a second. My point was the existence of good and evil, which is subjective unless there is an objective point of reference. All other is opinion.

"good" and "evil" are figurative terms created by those/he/she that wrote original religion. These terms are used to describe "right" and "wrong". Religion isn't necessary to determine "right" and "wrong", it is only necessary to describe "good" and "evil".

Right and wrong can be argued as evolutionary traits, spurred on in the absence of religion itself. The author/authors of the bible characterize it. For even in the bible, Kane lied to God after committing murder as he knew he had done wrong, before murder was deemed sin.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But what makes it wrong to kill children? Because a majority of people agree that it is?

That is a fantastic question.......I would postulate that the reasoning behind certain actions is a very personal thing based on individual experiences in life. While one could attempt to justify such an action, the morality of beings has given us the overall ability to determine it is wrong(especially on the primitive level of furthering the species).

I hope they are good this year. They had a rough season last year.

GO PACK GO!

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because children are not capable, physically or mentally, to defend themselves. They are also our offspring which is important if a species want to exist on this earth. If we all killed each others children, we would be an evolutionary dead end (we would go extinct). This means, we evolved a sense that killing children is a terrible idea.

This is why we think that it is an extremely terrible crime. Is is literally the way to make a group of people go extinct. Now, some groups of people want other groups of people to go extinct. Hence, those are typically the type of people you will see killing children.

Has nothing to do with God.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentlemen, although I disagree with your theology, or lack thereof, I admire your resolve. I'm glad we all love children, at least we can agree on that. I'm at church and must get off of here for now. I accept your surrender. I'm joking. To surrender you must be in a war, and this internet thread does not qualify as that. I truly love you guys and I hope you and your families are well. Have a great night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom