Glock or Sig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you choose a Glock or Sig for carry?

• Total voters

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't want to pop anyone's bubble, But
IMG_0598.GIF

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first handgun I ever bought was a Glock 23 that I bought at a pawn shop for $425. Shortly after I bought a Glock 43 for concealed carry. Then I bought a Glock range bag and decided that I would be a a Glock guy right away. Took them to the range and my brother came along who had a SIG P320 compact chambered in .45 acp. Shooting his SIG .45 felt nicer and less snappy than my .40 cal Glock. The ergonomics were better, the trigger was better, and I shot it better. I traded away both Glocks and bought a P320 compact in 9mm and a P365 that I still have and still carry to this very day.
I have been a 1911 fan for over 70 yrs. My first Glock was a G19. Loved it. Just recently sold it a Generation two. Gen2's were actually Gen1 as that was first year for G19 but we are stuck with that nomenclature. I once owned a G23 but was a little snappy compared to my 1911's in .45 and .40 ammo was more expensive then than .45 at the time so away went the G23. I have a couple of Sigs both German a 220 and 225. I had a 228 and 229 that now belong to two of my daughters with both barrels .357 Sig and .40 S&W for the 229 and like you I bought a Sig P365. Great carry piece except I didn't like loading the thumb busting mags so it went away. Real pain in the butt when reloading at the range. I have two G17's both Gen5's that I am using in two MCK Micro CAA Conversion Kits. The G17 is a great pistol to use in the CAA kits. My new carry is a Ruger LW Commander .45 and I also sometimes carry a G43X a great small and lightweight pistol.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to sound like I am running for the US Senate, but both are very good guns. Hard not to like a Glock 19 (Gen 4) ... but to me, I will take my SIGs.

Mostly due to familiarity. First gun I bought when I turned 21 (in 1978) was a Browning BDA in 45ACP. Great gun. Reliable and very accurate. In 2003, I bought a German SIG P220. Just as superb right out of the box. A few years back, I sold my Glock (Gen 4) 19 to my son and bought a SIG P225A1. Like my other SIGs, just amazing out of the box.

After hearing about the magic that Robert Burke (The SIG Armorer) can do on SIGs, I sent him my SIG P220. He made a great gun even better. Sent him my SIG P225A1 for the same. They went from really great guns to simply amazing guns.

People should own and shoot what they like and what they shoot best. I still love my 1911’s and my Behlert tuned Browning Hi Power. However to me, I am very happy with my SIGs.
When did Browning make the BDA in 45ACP? (or Beretta)

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a 1911 fan for over 70 yrs. My first Glock was a G19. Loved it. Just recently sold it a Generation two. Gen2's were actually Gen1 as that was first year for G19 but we are stuck with that nomenclature. I once owned a G23 but was a little snappy compared to my 1911's in .45 and .40 ammo was more expensive then than .45 at the time so away went the G23. I have a couple of Sigs both German a 220 and 225. I had a 228 and 229 that now belong to two of my daughters with both barrels .357 Sig and .40 S&W for the 229 and like you I bought a Sig P365. Great carry piece except I didn't like loading the thumb busting mags so it went away. Real pain in the butt when reloading at the range. I have two G17's both Gen5's that I am using in two MCK Micro CAA Conversion Kits. The G17 is a great pistol to use in the CAA kits. My new carry is a Ruger LW Commander and I also sometimes carry a G43X a great small and lightweight pistol.
For those P365 mags (or any mags for that matter) one of those spring-loaded Maglula Uplula mag loaders are the best. They will save your thumbs. I have 2 of them.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a single issue with a Glock, but I like Sigs a lot and they have such a wide variety of models and calibers. I would go with Sig.

My first semi auto handgun was a used Sig P226 and that thing seriously has probably 50k rounds through it just from my doing plus whatever it saw before me which looked like a lot. I don’t carry it and it has made its way out of being my bedside gun, but I would trust my life with that 226 any day.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Sig pistol is an art piece like a well-made 1911. It is a Mercedes Benz and Glock is a Chevy pickup. The Mercedes might be better in almost every way, except reliability to stake your life on. If the maintenance is done on the Benz/Sig, it will be a great EDC or service gun so I'm not bashing Sig.

But if you are on a budget, and you want something that will go bang with any ammo regardless of conditions, then the Glock is the right choice. I would rank a P226 higher over a G17 except if I (hypothetically) had to go into the woods for 5yrs with no gun oil. If I couldn't allocate funds for both, I would weight reliability as the highest priority and choose Glock. I'd take it a step further and say only a Glock chambered in 9mm is the most proven of the Glock offerings. It would be interesting to see a G21 vs P220 torture test.

People always say they would trust their life to direct impingement AR's, Sig pistols, 1911 pistols, etc...but they never account for the fact that those platforms rely on being clean & lubed to remain reliable. But I won't fault anyone who carries a P365 or something else that is comfortable. EDC of a clean gun is not the same as a worst case scenario, and Sig is certainly one of the more reliable platforms over some lesser brands.

Sig rifles on the other hand, are the Glock of rifles...If Glock made a rifle, I would probably still choose a Sig rifle instead. How ironic.

Last edited: