Going to the Tinker Commissary and PX ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
They all do now, but the searches depend upon the threat level. Sometimes it’s random, with a quota of searches per shift, or every 2nd or third car, or mandatory every car search. In my short stint doing gate duty, we would get bored and when we had to pick cars to search, we would pick themes to go by for the day. For example: everybody with mustaches, or white cars, morons who don’t have their ID’s out, maybe every wise guy with a joke would get searched that day.
Boy was I ever screwed in my white Datsun truck in an army officer's uniform driving onto the AFB.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a very hot summer day and I had just left the Commissary after buying groceries and some ice cream. I was anxious to get home and get the ice cream in the freezer before it turned liquid. As I was driving OUT the gate an Army Reservist waved me down and said he wanted to search my car. I said loudly, I have ice cream that is melting and he said, go ahead, we'll get he next car. This was right after 9-11.
Franky, I've always wondered why in decades past why they searched cars coming onto a base when someone leaving a base could be taking an IBM typewriter or other valuable item. Obviously coming on base someone could bring explosives but dang, you could carry off half the base property leaving the base.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you enjoy a little hooch now and then, I highly suggest going to the class 6. It’s in the gas station, next to Burger King and inside the gas station. I bought a bottle of my favorite nice scotch, Talisker 10 year, for a mere $67 out the door. Anywhere I find it around town it runs $85-93. Lots of great prices in there for sure.
Best part? No tax!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't AF bases have a sign that says vehicles subject to search at random? McConnel AFB did and my truck was always picked out "at random".
Think it could have something to do with the bumper sticker on the back of your truck?

1696609867396.jpeg

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped in a couple months back, prices on many things there were more than I could buy them out in town. Was not the case in days past.
I worked on Tinker AFB as a cashier at the BX for a couple of years after I first arrived in Oklahoma back in 2005. I discovered that AAFES often purchases many of their items at cost from retail overstock and from manufacturer warehouse clearance in the same way that other discount stores like Marshals, Ross, Ollie's, Harbor Freight, and Big Lots's do. They get the items at low-cost or at manufacture-cost then mark the price up slightly in order to make a small profit. Despite the mark-up the items are/were still less than off Base/Post.

As an example, my [then] SIL had bought a new walk-behind mower from Tinker AFB BX and after a couple of years it malfunctioned (the drive-wheel belt broke). When trying to get a replacement belt I discovered that the model of mower he had purchased was (according to the serial number) one that had been manufactured for the Canadian market and was no longer currently available. Fortunately I found a replacement belt out of O'Reilly Auto Parts 🤣

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must be out of touch with the regulations now,,,
I thought you must either be active duty or retired with 20 years to use anything on a military base.

I served for 8 years in the 70's,,,
Am I eligible to shop at the PX and Commissary?

Aarond

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must be out of touch with the regulations now,,,
I thought you must either be active duty or retired with 20 years to use anything on a military base.

I served for 8 years in the 70's,,,
Am I eligible to shop at the PX and Commissary?

Aarond

Read through this entire thread, especially the referenced items.

Latest posts

Top Bottom