Going to the Tinker Commissary and PX ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned something about base access that might be really important depending on circumstances:

ANY vehicle or person entering a U.S. Military Facility, regardless of their ID, is subject to a full search and sniff at any time, anywhere on the base. And most bases, Tinker included, conduct unannounced security and lockdown exercises which entail vehicles being randomly pulled over in a separate lane at the gate, where MP's and possibly drug dogs go thoroughly and carefully through them from top to bottom and front to back. Woe betide the person who forgot his EDC was still under the seat, or in the cubby, or even in a locked tool box in a pickup bed. You are simply screwed by Federal Law and are in for a long day at the very least. No state or local law or license regarding carry, transport, or possession of firearms will mean diddly squat to the base MP's. There are no excuses. My personal truck has been searched twice in the past few years, and fortunately in each case I had remembered to leave my EDC at home. I've also forgotten to do that a couple of times over the years, and have won the lottery by not being nailed. But it's a scary thing to realize after you've return home, and if you don't make a regular habit of visiting military bases, it's an easy thing to forget.

Ditto for marijuana medical cards. There is no Federal MJ card. And if your buddy left a roach under the seat last time he rode with you, shame on you, it's now your problem.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned something about base access that might be really important depending on circumstances:

ANY vehicle or person entering a U.S. Military Facility, regardless of their ID, is subject to a full search and sniff at any time, anywhere on the base. And most bases, Tinker included, conduct unannounced security and lockdown exercises which entail vehicles being randomly pulled over in a separate lane at the gate, where MP's and possibly drug dogs go thoroughly and carefully through them from top to bottom and front to back. Woe betide the person who forgot his EDC was still under the seat, or in the cubby, or even in a locked tool box in a pickup bed. You are simply screwed by Federal Law and are in for a long day at the very least. No state or local law or license regarding carry, transport, or possession of firearms will mean diddly squat to the base MP's. There are no excuses. My personal truck has been searched twice in the past few years, and fortunately in each case I had remembered to leave my EDC at home. I've also forgotten to do that a couple of times over the years, and have won the lottery by not being nailed. But it's a scary thing to realize after you've return home, and if you don't make a regular habit of visiting military bases, it's an easy thing to forget.

Ditto for marijuana medical cards. There is no Federal MJ card. And if your buddy left a roach under the seat last time he rode with you, shame on you, it's now your problem.
All you need to do is register your firearm with the armorer on post and when traveling on base: keep the weapon card from the armor and keep the ammo and weapon separated and out of reach.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you need to do is register your firearm with the armorer on post and when traveling on base: keep the weapon card from the armor and keep the ammo and weapon separated and out of reach.
Thanks, I didn't know that option existed. That's great to hear, I'll look into getting that done, since we go to the commissary pretty often.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that option existed. That's great to hear, I'll look into getting that done, since we go to the commissary pretty often.
There is an armor on duty 24/7 no appointment needed. It takes about ten minutes per weapon. They are back by the clinic.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
That is 100% dependent on the Post commander and the Provost Marshall. I highly advise you contact the Provost Marshal or whatever the Air Force uses, to find out what the rules are, rather than follow something from a gun forum in Oklahoma.

On Sill, you have to have a reason to have your weapon with you when you go on post...and having a weapon card from the "armorer" (non-existent on an Army post - Provost Marshal) and travelling around with a weapon separated from ammo because you are is a bad idea. You had better be going to a range, Hunting, training etc.

UPDATE: I just talked to the MP Desk on Sill and they confirmed what I said above, you have to have a purpose to bring POWs on post. Depending on the post, some of these places have zero tolerance policies and will ball you up if you get caught hanging out with guns on post and not conducting authorized activities. POW registration is at the visitors center at the Sheridan Gate on Rogers lane.

IDK what the Air Force does but I don't imagine you can just register a POW then drive all over the base doing whatever with a weapon in your vehicle. They tend to have more restrictive policies than the Army. But maybe.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TINKER AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. --
The state law that allows Oklahomans to have a concealed-carry permit has absolutely no bearing on Tinker.

The law, signed by Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin in 2012, is a state mandate and not a federal regulation, so it has no bearing on Tinker, a Department of Defense property.

"It is illegal to bring a firearm or other dangerous weapons into a federal installation," said Tech. Sgt. Rob Briggs, 72nd Security Forces Squadron non-commissioned officer in charge of police services.

As part of the Tinker Integrated Defense Plan 31-101, "No person shall carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon on Tinker AFB. This prohibition also applies to individuals with state concealed firearms licenses as these permits have no authority on federal installations. Such licenses are not valid on any part of Tinker AFB."

The exception is for 72nd SFS personnel, Air Force Office of Special Investigation agents and civilian police personnel on official business.

The installation commander has the authority to restrict privately-owned weapons on the installation.

"The reason for base restriction is not to take away anyone's right to bear arms, but to ensure the safety of everyone living and working on the installation," said Sergeant Briggs.

Civilians violating the law will be cited by Security Forces or local law enforcement, and their case will be heard in a downtown Oklahoma City magistrate court.

https://www.tinker.af.mil/News/Arti...nceal-and-carry-law-doesnt-pertain-to-tinker/

Last edited:

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all my years in the AF and around AF bases, including 4 years as a Red Hat (Combat Arms...aka "armorer") I've never heard of civilians registering a gun with the base "armorer".
I apologize. It’s for base residents.
Not all base residents are military now.
Civilians can live in base housing.

Attachments

• IMG_8963.jpeg
    IMG_8963.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 0

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you live on base in private quarters there are provisions for registering POFs with the SF and either keeping them in your private quarters are storing them on base, depending on the installation.

But Joe Citizen who just travels on base? I don't think that's the case. I've never heard of an installation allowing possession of a firearm on base by civilians other than police officers on duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom