Good article on the state of the libertarian movement.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many of you are politically active? By that I mean do more then whine about things on the net? We have one or two members who are members of the Libertarian party, gather signatures trying to get them on the ballot, work to make a difference. Those people I like and respect, I may not agree with them but I respect what they are trying to do. Instead of being like most of the libertarians I talk too that just want to whine about things.

If they ever form a real Tea Party, you can bet I will leave the GOP in a heart beat and work for them. Heck if I had the money I would try and get it started myself. Libertarians have a party, they are just either to lazy or to scared to work for them preferring to hide under the majors skirts while claiming to do something. Frankly they ain't doing ****.

Have any data for that or are you just going to use more hyperbole and red herring?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, I have in fact put my money where my mouth is and joined up. Well tried to anyways, OK does not recognize L so they are giving me an I. At any rate at least I'm not counted among the republican ranks anymore so I can at least feel good about that.

There is no hiding in the GOP or dem party. The hope/strategy with the libertarian leaning members of the R and D party is to influence through primaries. I held onto such a belief for quite a while as the L party won't even be recognized by the state of OK. All hope of that is lost on me now however. There are just too many people in each party that want to force their own views on everyone.

If you want to simplify libertarian philosophy to one sentence it would be. Leave everyone the fukc alone. If it does not effect other people, it is not anyone else's damn business. Why that is not a majority opinion, I do not know.

The Libertarian party will not be recognized in Oklahoma until it becomes a force they can not ignore. Right now they can safely ignore libertarians because there are so few of them, they are not organized, and frankly because libertarians seem to be content to just whine about things while doing nothing.

As for why it is not a majority opinion, because people always think they know better then everyone else. Even Libertarians think their ideas are the best for everyone as your question shows. :D Once you think you know better, most people have to try and "help" everyone. The Republicans do it, the Dims do it and if the Libertarians ever get power they will do it too.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any data for that or are you just going to use more hyperbole and red herring?

What kind of data do you want? A poll of Libertarians on this board that actually joined the party? How many gather signatures? How many hide out in the majors? (that one is easy, just see how many claim to be Libertarian but whine about the GOP not running a Libertarian candidate) If I would leave the GOP if a real Tea Party formed? (Polling says yes)

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im with RickN on this. If your truely a Libertarian why do they join the GOP? Same with Tea Party.

Ive been saying alot of the GOPs problems stem from absorbing the Libertarians and allowing the Tea Partiers to have a say. The GOP would so be better off booting those 2 factions out.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im with RickN on this. If your truely a Libertarian why do they join the GOP? Same with Tea Party.

Ive been saying alot of the GOPs problems stem from absorbing the Libertarians and allowing the Tea Partiers to have a say. The GOP would so be better off booting those 2 factions out.

Actually it would hurt the GOP for awhile if those two left, but it would force real change instead of just lip service. While it would let the Dims win for a few years on the national level, in the long run the Libertarians would pull almost as many from the Dim party so it would even out. Local level or races for congress would not change until the Libertarians and Tea Party got organized enough to start winning seats.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually it would hurt the GOP for awhile if those two left, but it would force real change instead of just lip service. While it would let the Dims win for a few years on the national level, in the long run the Libertarians would pull almost as many from the Dim party so it would even out. Local level or races for congress would not change until the Libertarians and Tea Party got organized enough to start winning seats.

Yep I agree. I think the Libertarian Party was in the death throws when they merged with the Rs.

Theres no National organization and very little local organization, the reminants just latched on to who they identified with the most.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think the fact that you both are in agreement confirms that the LP is a threat to the status quo. :wink2:

I dont differ much. Im conservative fiscally and fairly Liberal socially. I mainly differ on my opinion of free market capitalism.

As such I think im a true Independent voter. I cast my vote based on what I think a candidate can or cant do vs the party platform.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont differ much. Im conservative fiscally and fairly Liberal socially. I mainly differ on my opinion of free market capitalism.

As such I think im a true Independent voter. I cast my vote based on what I think a candidate can or cant do vs the party platform.

Are you a member of the Independent Party? Been out driving petitions and participating in Independent Party rallies and events? You guys going to get someone like George Wallace to run again?

If you are not active in Party affairs, that kinda invalidates your agreement with Rick's argument. Actually, his argument would apply even more to Independents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom